Directory diff program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Hey fellas. Anyone know of a good FREE program that does diffs of whole directories?

Even better would be a program that takes a hash (SHA-1/MD5) of the CONTENTS of a directory and gives me a single # to archive.

:D

Youu can do it in Perl. I think I already have one that does, but I have to find it.
What is it excatly that you are going for?

Checking the contents of 2 CDs :).. Unfortunately, most programs I see only takes hashes/CRCs of single files. It'll be nice to find one that does it recursively on all the files in the directory/subdirectories.

I have one, but the stupid thing tries to save the hash digest on the source directory of the CD :rolleyes:.. Which is read-only. It does this b/c you are supposed to compare a hard drive folder to a CD folder with that program :rolleyes:.. Bastards didn't think that anyone would want to compare CD to CD. No option to change directories.

Screw this. I am going to write my own program :rolleyes:. The amount of time I spent search for it, I could've half finished the darn thing by now :rolleyes:

well, the program I thought I had, I can't use cause I can't find the source... Need to look at server restore points...
anyway, it's pretty simple to write up a perl script to do this. There is a function called "stat" which returns an array of data about the file. You can use that to build a hash for eash file, and then contain that hash in a hash of the directorys....

if you want help, let me know...

Good luck

Thx, but I'll be doing it in C++. It'll be faster execution. For a few files it wouldn't matter, but for a large number of files in the mega/giga Bytes, it would make a difference :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom