Norton 2005 Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think norton is good, i suggest that you can check your start up items and can remove any unwanted programs starting at boot time. to spped up your computer

As for the slow down on boot that is just something that will have to be lived with. Could go to a different version, upgrade your RAM to make it faster. I mean its only a minute better than a virus on there and it be 20 minutes right?!?

I use to think norton was the shiet.

even though there was 3 or 4 times that I got a virus and norton couldn't do anything about it. when I first join this forum. I learn of lighter, better alternatives like AVG, Avasti and nod32.

you will notice the speed improvement on your computer immediately. Avasti actually scan every single thing that you do on a computer. I had never even heard of these A/V programs until I got here.

I also don't have to worry about hackers using my a/v to scan my computer (they can do that trick with norton and mcafee).

Originally posted by Wikipedia
Despite its widespread adoption, it carries a reputation within parts of the computer enthusiast community as slow and inefficient, as well as being difficult to uninstall. Whatever the reasons, there are certainly a wide variety of opinions on the product, with professional reviewers tending to give it good rankings (often describing it as the best in its category), but actual user reviews tend to describe it as poor. See for instance ZDNet's review of Norton AntiVirus 2004, where the editor's rating was "7.8 Very good", but the contribute user rating average was just "4.5 Mediocre" as of July 2005. It is possible that variations between different systems account for this discrepancy. Other reviewers have described the software as "memory hungry" or "system resource hogger", including the UK's PC Plus magazine review of the 2004 edition.

In anycase, as for hackers using Norton as you mentioned, it is most likely b/c Norton is "targetted" due to its widespread use. But really, any program can be targetted in some fashion to do some task if needed be. They probably just don't do it b/c the target user base is small with some of the other antivirus s/w.

Regardless of how good the "bahaviour type" scanning routines are, a really "good" malicious program should be able to bypass them even before they are started up I would imagine. I have to read more details about the XP startup process, but I remember reading that this is possible. I think this was on the ZoneAlarm (zonelabs) forums.

I'm using CA's EZ Antivirus ($17 for 2-years of updates) and it's the smallest and fastest antivirus software I've used. I was using McAfee before, which is another good alternative to Norton.

As already stated, Norton is a fat resource-hogging piece of crap. It would take me a good minute before I could have control of the computer on a fresh boot.

Anything out there is better than Norton, period.

Chankama said:
In anycase, as for hackers using Norton as you mentioned, it is most likely b/c Norton is "targetted" due to its widespread use. But really, any program can be targetted in some fashion to do some task if needed be. They probably just don't do it b/c the target user base is small with some of the other antivirus s/w.

Regardless of how good the "bahaviour type" scanning routines are, a really "good" malicious program should be able to bypass them even before they are started up I would imagine. I have to read more details about the XP startup process, but I remember reading that this is possible. I think this was on the ZoneAlarm (zonelabs) forums.

you prove one of my points. the code is so old and plentiful that my son could probably crack it.

most americans think norton is the only good A/V, when there are cheaper better alternatives.

It is not that i think Norton is so good. It has been reliable and useful for me. I havent had to switch to another since Norton does its job for me. If i was having problems and Norton didnt fix or work for me then i wouldnt use it. Like they say "If it aint broke dont fix it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom