OCed my 6800 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augsy

In Runtime
well i OCed it to 380/1000

which is a very little OC but i checked the temp it it read 98C on full load. Yet i dont notice any snow or sign of it becoming unstable. Is this reading wrong or is my video card just able to handle these temps?

BTW my card is an XFX and im using the lastest version of forceware.

You should easily be able to hit 400/1000. Although, it is an XFX...

98C on full load is hot, but not TERRIBLE. What is your idle temperature?

dam thats soo hot my 6600GT when stock idles 42 and loads at 58

but still just keep ocing and get ur max

well mine is a XFX which runs hotter, but seems like it can handle the extra heat, I think im gonna leave it at maxing out at 100C i dont want my video card to boil lol.

Anything above 90 C really isn't something you want to run constantly. The instability will come from excessively high clocks where the card simply says "no, can't do it".

Dangerously high temperatures won't plainly tell you "no, too high" which is why you want to monitor them. To be honest, 100 C is ridiculous. Actually, I believe that anything in the 90s or above is ridiculous. It is normal. My eVGA 6800 GT @ stock maxed at 91 C in BF2. I water cooled it (DD MAZE4), and it idles at around 41 C and doesn't exceed 43 C under load. It's actually idling at 32 C as we speak. That 91 C just simply wasn't safe when constantly used.

I'm not saying to go spend money on a WC rig where it is unnecessary (in this case for example).

If you're actually getting 100 C (assuming that the sensor works properly), then you may want to look into trying an aftermarket cooler.

What is the ambient temperature in the room and case?

the ambient temperature on the video card is around 60C on full, and for the case it is around 42 on idle and 54 on full.

The AC NV Silencer 5 seems to be a popular one. It should reduce the temperatures to a safe zone, though that cannot be garaunteed. There have been some cases where it was fantastic and others where it was completely ineffective. You might as well try it out and return it should it do absolutely nothing. As long as it reduced load temps to the safe zone, you should be okay. I would aim for somewhere in the 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom