Ghosting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BASSMASTER

Daemon Poster
How does Ghosting work?

I've never actually used a ghosting product and I'm a little curious how it really works?

How can it work so quickly? Does it just copy an image of the host, or does it actually copy all the files?

If it doesn't copy the actual file, isn't it possible the entire image on the receiving drive could become damaged and unusable?

there's different types of ghost copies. Mainly, Write to image and Disk Clone. Write to Image will create an image file of the drive or partition. Disk Clone will copy all disk or partition data to a new disk or partition.

yes the images can become corrupt and you'll lose all the data. But I've never seen this happen...also, backup your shit. I've never had to lookup any repair tools for norton so i dont know if they even exist.

does it work quickly? HA! Compared to a complete machine rebuild, its pretty damn fast. I have a 2gb sysprep image that installs to a 20gb HD, it prolly finishes in 30min. Compared to the 3-4 hours it took me to install and configure the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom