2GB of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I am thinking of maybe upgrading to 2GB of RAM, because I am getting more RAM lag in BF2 and F.E.A.R. than video card lag. First, would this be a good investment? I think it would be a better investment than a video card at this point, since I plan on upgrading my CPU/vid card/mobo this winter/spring.

Second, what RAM should I go with? Considering that I am not a major overclocker, I was thinking of going with Corsair XMS (Yeah, I know Nubius hates it), mostly because its cheap these days. Corsair XMS would be perfect for what I'm doing i think, being as I'm not going to push it to the limits. What do you think?

BF2 is an incredibly resource heavy game, wasn't really "built" well. 2GB of RAM should really be "recommended" on the box.

if you're spending $100's of bucks jsut for a few games, i dont really think it's smart. but if you need it for more than games, i'd say it's a good idea to purchase it.

You don't need to spend the extra money on XMS. The way Corsair built them is absolutely ridiculous, they're marketed as performance RAM (which translates into low latency which translates into better stability at higher speeds) yet they won't yield as good of results as better stuff built on BH-5s or TCCDs.

They're value RAM with a hefty price tag and you're paying for a flashy name, you would be better off investing in some better, and cheaper for that matter, Twinmos BH-5 chips, or just plain value RAM. As you already noted you aren't overclocking so the difference will be neglible to you.

BTW, try increasing your page file first before you go out and buy more RAM for such a mediocre cause

I agree with gaara there is better RAM out there than XMS, such as the Corsair ELVX also it's nice for OCing. Really if you have 1gb of RAM is just fine for BF2.

I was thinking of going with Corsair XMS (Yeah, I know Nubius hates it),
I only hate it in terms of overclocking and the fact people always suggest it because they are clueless to other brands out there.

As gaara said, if you aren't planning on overclocking then you might as well save money on it and just get valueRAM.

Gaara - Those TwinMOS I whored out for a long time no longer have BH-5s or winbond utt though unless you get REALLY lucky, you'd have to get their premium brand.

2GIG of VALUE RAM is all you need as a non-overclocker.

As far as the need for 2GIG goes, I believe it's absolutely necessary for some of the newer games that have come out in the last 6 months and will come out in the next 6 months. They whore all your resources and beg for more.

Kingston ValueRam is cheap and has done a great job for me. Installed it (4x 512 DDR 400)and forgot about it and it's not caused a single problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom