PSU question of the NOT so normal kind

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Ok i got a question that most would think its dumb but i just wanted to ask before i try it. And before i get some respenses saying thats dumb, or dont try it, ill say that im using junk stuff to test it on. ANyways, a while back i recieved some cases and PSUs from a friend of my dads. They are HP and the PSUs are 24pin. He is using one of the same kind of PSUs on a 20pin mobo. Thing is, is he has the materials to make a 20 pin PSU cause he has the plastic pieces and a special tool to take the cords out. Well I was looking at a 20 pin PSU and this 24 pin one and i was thinking that maybe i could hack saw the unneeded 4 off it woudl work. Am i right? I hacked off the 4 that dont match up w/ the 20pin one and it fits right in and everything. So anybody think it will work? Again im using cheap junk and dont care if something blows up. Thanx.

doubtful, unless you're very lucky and have the correct pinouts miraculously the same as the 20 pin. Not all of those pins are power, you see, and if.. say, you mix the power and ground power/nuetral and put it backwards, you're probably gonna be in for a nice little fireworks display. PLUS, you are now messing with the possibility of energizing the entire case giving you a nice little shock when touching it. In short, I wouldn't recomend doing it. May hurt yourself, cause a small electrical fire, or if you're lucky just a small puff of smoke. Then again you may have a chance in 1000 that the wiring schematics match perfectly.

Well it worked. I just tried it out and it worked no problem and botted up and ran 2 HDs, 1 90mm fan, a 2500+ barton, CD-R/W, and played BF2

Hahaha, I had my dad do it cause it was his idea. He was like just incase we have no smoke, ill light a cig. So we didnt have any smoke so he blew some into the case and i was like ha ha real funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom