Hardware Problem, error included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanker

Banned
I get this error when starting up. It comes right after the "Windows 2000 loading..." thing. The following text between the lines is the complete error. It appears over a bluescreen.

------------------------------------------------------------

STOP: c000026c {Unable to Load Device Driver}
\??\C:WINNT\System32\drivers\df_kmd.sys device driver could not be loaded.
Error Status was 0x000012f

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow f this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows 2000 updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restard your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for more information on troubleshooting Stop errors.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There you have it. It comes up every time I restart. Safe Mode doesn't run normally, but it will run with networking and with Command prompt.

The only newly installed hardware would be a mouse, a joystick, and a headset. All intalled the day before this error came. It is a crappy 2001 HP Pavilion 7940. I have a new comp almost built up, but I still need to use this one.

Thank You.

All my posts today, including this one, have been made in Safe Mode, lol.

The "Tab" key is my best friend since my mouse doesn't work...

And of course you get the BSOD.
It is likely a driver problem, hence the error. It does say "{Unable to Load Device Driver}".

The df_kmd.sys driver seems to be causing the problem. I'm not sure if this is a windows driver or a driver for some hardware you installed (your joystick, mouse, or headset). Try uninstalling their drivers or the device that uses that driver (df_kmd.sys).

The BSOD problem could be caused by various things, but usually they will give you something to troubleshoot with. I got the BSOD cause I plugged my SATA HDD into a different slot on my motherboard, except the BSOD only appeared for half a second so I couldn't read the error.

Process of elimination here. Remove everything except your video card, memory and cpu. See if there is a normal bios load. Then plug in only your hard drive and see if windows boots up. then start adding periperals one by one until you get the device error. This is time consuming but a fool proof way to locating your dead or dying piece of hardware.

I didn't install anything when I connected the joystick, mouse, and headset. The joystick was USB so I just plugged it in, set the buttons in Battlefield 2, and started playing. I plugged in the headset to the back of my CPU Case, and connected the mouse to the PS/2 connection in the back also. The joystick is my greatest suspect in this, but I found that its complatible with Win2K's HCL lists.

I ran a search on my computer for those files/drivers and found 3 of em.
The first one was in C:\Program Files\WinFixer 2005
The second one was in C:\in WINNT\System32\drivers
The third one was in C:\Documents and Settings\*My Account*\Application...

I'm thinking the second one is the problem? Should I delete the file or something? If not, where can I get the latest drivers for this stuff? From the Logitech website?

RicoDirenzo said:
Process of elimination here. Remove everything except your video card, memory and cpu. See if there is a normal bios load. Then plug in only your hard drive and see if windows boots up. then start adding periperals one by one until you get the device error. This is time consuming but a fool proof way to locating your dead or dying piece of hardware.

It can't be anything but the three new things that I installed the day before this error popped up. I disconnected the joystick, headset, and mouse as soon as I saw the error, restarded, and the error was still there. I'm going with the drivers theory.

latest drivers from the logitech website...yes! If that doesn't solve the problem you may need to do what I suggested earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom