Mixing Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyb8ss

Baseband Member
I am about to buy a second LCD screen for my computer but my current AGP card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133144) has only one output for monitors and one s-video (which currently only outputs in greyscale). I am considering buying a PCI gfx card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814164047) to host my second monitor as well as TV output but will it work? Can i use two graphics cards at once and will my AGP card still do all the processing or will each card process for its own screen or what?

no it is possible. i know it is possible because my dad does it.but it would be better to get a dual vga.just get a 6600GT for about 50$ more than those 2 together then u can use the dvi to vga adapter and u can use both things.having to cards it could cause problems.

I already have the GeForce 5200 so I dont want to go shell out even more money. WHat kind of problems would I run into? I am not going to have my games run on both screen, just on the default. The second screen will just be for chatting or working on VB projects while reading or two VB projects at a time (client and server)

I found some articles saying it is possible so i am going to give it a shot and see how it works out...

It's easy, and is a nice thing to have. You may have some trouble getting two cards working at once, but you prolly wont, but it is possible. I have two monitors set up, but I have a video card with two outputs on it.

It takes a few minutes to configure and get the hang of once you have it installed, but is quite simple. You will have to introduce yourself to Clone View and Dual View and Horizontal Span View but once you do, tis quite simple. What you will want is Dual View.

Don't they have to both be the same company? (Not Nvidia and an ATI card, but both Nvidia or both ATI?) Due to driver issues having ATI and Nvidia drivers installed?

(I have no knoledge of this apart from someone saying they had several PCI cards working together for multiple monitors.

I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. So yeah, not same company, but same chipset manufacturer... Like you said, ATI or NVidia. I could see that being a problem if they were different cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom