is thermal thermal paste thing important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gully2005

Baseband Member
on my p4 i took the thermal paste or whatever it was off the heatsync and chip? shit.. will it make a difference? i see it getting hotter.. i didnt know what i was doing when i took it off.. noob mistake
how much would it cost to get some more of the thermal paste>?

Yes thermal paste does make a difference. It helps heat pass from the chip to the heatsink. Buy some Arctic Silver 5, it's quite cheap, but before you apply that clean the heatsink and chip with some 99% Isopropyl Alcohol or something. Also remember you only need a tiny amount of paste.

whats Isopropyl Alcohol ??? and where do i buy artic silver 5? a computer shop, im in australia i duno where to go

what else can i put on there instead of thermal paste? cause most computer stores are like far from me..

Isopropyl Alcohol is rubbing alcohol you know stuff to clean a sore or wound. As far as i know you cannot sub something for thermalpaste. Looks like you are going to have to go on a ride or order online

You can use a thermal pad, but the are not as good.

To clean the CPU and heatsink anything 90%+ alcohol will do, but 99% is better. You should get something like this in a chemist, but I have never tried.

You can use any thermal paste that you can find on a computer store. AS5 is the best though. And it is essential, as the surface of the CPU and Heatsink are not perfectly smooth. It may feel it, but there will be microscopic gaps inbetween, where air would be trapped, and this is not good, as it would act like a oven.

There are austrailian users here that know a good place to buy hardware. It was in a sticky all the good places, but they un stuck it.

edit: www.msy.com.au
www.cpl.net.au
www.centrecom.com.au

well i put PVA glue on it?? will that stuff it up LOL
its kinda worked.. but is it safe enough for use?
It cooled the comp about 4-6degrees, thats all i wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom