Mobo Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer

In Runtime
I am building a computer that will be doing a lot of multimedia functions, and a little gaming. Any suggestions on a good motherboard? I was thinking intel based, as they are supposedly better for multimedia, as amd is with gaming. I was thinking asus or dfi, but not sure what models to look at. is ddr2 noticeably faster than ddr? what are some good chipsets?

I like AMD because of price, and if not doing heavy gaming or applications, it's good. If you are doing heavy apps, go with pentium. I like gigabyte motherboards! they're affordable, and very stable. If you're not overclocking I recommend looking at gigabyte.

Do you already have the CPU? If yes, depending on the socket type, ASUS & MSI make dman good intel boards. If you don't already have the CPU and multimedia/multitasking is your thing, then i'd recommend nothing less then a P4 3.2ghz-3.6ghz. That will give you the performance you need in multitasking/multimedia and you'll also be able to play any game you want.

Don't listen to the AMD fanboys that will tell you different in gaming. Yes, AMD will bench higher and is better overall for gaming. But with Intel's highend P4's you can game your butt off.

There are so many things to think about when purchasing a MOBO.
1.) AGP or PCI Express
2.) Socket Type
3.) Onboard features
4.) Chipset
5.) Form Factor
6.) SATA / IDE

Ok, I just saw you sig & components. LOL - 2.0ghz is probably they worst CPU on the planet. You should look to upgrade that with your MOBO.

The main thing is running applications and server stuff, gaming is not a big deal. its for my dad, he wont care if he gets 70 fps instead of 90 playing a game.

No i have not bought a proc or anything else yet, thought it would be a good idea to know what im buildin before i start buyin stuff. So basically im pretty sure to go with pentium at this point. any good chipsets i should look at? 2 years ago i built my system with a intel mobo with 875 chipset, which was brand new. not sure if thtas still considered good, but iv had 0 problems with it. what about nforce chipsets?

Slayer said:
I am building a computer that will be doing a lot of multimedia functions, and a little gaming. Any suggestions on a good motherboard? I was thinking intel based, as they are supposedly better for multimedia, as amd is with gaming. I was thinking asus or dfi, but not sure what models to look at. is ddr2 noticeably faster than ddr? what are some good chipsets?

Good ddr is faster then ddr2

That mobo that vaderpro recommended is a pretty good one.

As for the CPU, the one he recommended was good too. Just remember the mobo he recommended will also support dual core CPUs. I think a dual core CPU might be worth looking into.

The nice thing about using DDR2 for Intel is when an Intel CPU runs at such high frequencies, it needs a lot of memory bandwidth.

thanks, that mobo looks pretty solid and has good reviews. I like the proc too, I want to look at dual core procs, but iv heard mixed reviews about them. mostly because most software is designed to run on single thread procs, would a dual core proc really take advantage of its full potential, or only when im running multiple hi demand apps at the same time?

Also, can you have dual channel ddr2 memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom