Does Windows hate me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRecluse

In Runtime
Everytime I put on a new installation of WinXP I get killed with spyware and adware. This even happens if I run all the updates, install anti-viruses and ad-aware before my computer really has a chance to do anything else.

Recently, the internet would be SUPER slow (cable) so slow it feels like I'm back on dial-up. When I reboot into Linux, everything works just as quickly as it should.

I would like to keep WinXP for certain things. Is there any other precautions I should take into account on my computer?

I have WinXP pro installed on a FAT32 partition, would that make any difference in the way it performs?

You're doing something wrong. Maybe try Firefox, this is good as it stops some malicious stuff. Also try putting a Firewall like ZoneAlarm on before doing anything else.

Oh yeah also use NTFS. It's faster.

Yeah NTFS is more secure and faster than FAT32. So that would help you from getting killed right away from spyware.

I think you should make a practice of type the "msconfig" command.And on the "run" option pannel.You'll see all the automatic run program.The spyware must be there.

Another way,you can run "regedit" command to edit the registry & find "local machine-software-microsoft-windows-current version-run".Then turn to "local user-software-microsoft-windows-current version-run".to find the spyware.

How to improve your machine's performance?You can right click on "my computer" then click "mange",find "service".You can see all the service at the right window.Disable all the useless service.

Next,you need a better browser,such as "firefox".May be you can try some shell of IE.In our country,many softwares like this.For example when I chat with u,I use a software named "Netmyth",fortunately It is a multi-language free software.If you need,please mail me:coolnight69@163.com

try to surf the web with personal restricted account, and when downloaded everything, install them using admin without going on internet.. you should at least do that when installing first firewall/anti-virus..

furtivefelon said:
try to surf the web with personal restricted account, and when downloaded everything, install them using admin without going on internet.. you should at least do that when installing first firewall/anti-virus..

GOOD IDEA!

I do use Firefox, I loathe IE.

I'll try out all your suggestions. Thanks.
The reason I installed on FAT32 is so I could read/write from Linux. I guess I'll keep the actual OS on NTFS, and just my storage drive on FAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom