Need Recommendations and some Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Z-

Baseband Member
I got about $450 or a bit more to spend on upgrading my computer, this is what I got now:

AMD 2500+ Barton
BFG 6800 GT
2X Crucial 512MB 3200DDR
ASUS A7N8X-X
80GB Hitachi

These are the upgrades im planning to get:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice--$226.99
ASUS A8V DELUXE--$114.99
Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB--$113
Total=about $460(+shipping

Anyone got any other recommendations?

One thing im worry about is the ASUS A8V DELUXE which has problems setting up with a SATA hard drive. I have no idea how to set it up.
Would somone plz give me a step by step on getting it to work?

It's not hard to set up SATA. If the board has onboard SATA controllers you just have to plug them in and you're all set. Some boards require you to install 3rd party SATA drives during windows installation. Which isn't a big deal. You just need to put the SATA drivers on a floppy disk if it didn't come with them on one.

If your MOBO has 2 SATA controllers and 2 RAID controllers it gets kinda tricky, but it's nothing to worry about. A little reading of the MOBO manual and some questions here and you'll be up and running.

First off, I would not get that particular ASUS motherboard, I heard it is very buggy apparently, hence why I did not get it. I also would not get the Raptor hard drive. Granted, it is a great drive, however, it's relatively low storage, and I personally alway's try to get the most quality storage for my money. You could buy a Seagate 250gb hard drive for almost half of the price you are willing to buy that Raptor. Find it here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

It's on the main page, however, I personally think Tiger direct shipping is morbid. I would not order from them. Just look for other places, ncix is completely excellent company. Fast shipping (2-3 day's), and great low prices.

Also, if you follow my advice, you would have some extra money to spend on upgrading your Ram as well. You could, rather, you should upgrade to 1gb at the very least.

Hope I could help.

Yes. get a WD Raptor 74G. It's a great drive to use to install your OS, drivers, system appz, games and other appz on. I've got (1) after format and install windows you'll have 69.6GB. I've got a ton of appz, drivers and games installed on it. I now have 54GB free.

Use an additional HDD for storage of all multimedia files. Actually use the additional HDD to store everything that isn't an executable file or program.

SIDENOTE: You can install windows on a WD RAPTOR 10,000rpm in just under 10 minutes. Access times are incredibly fast and windows boots at fresh install faster then you've ever seen.

Good luck...

The only reason im getting the Raptor hard drive is that it is fast and i don't need alot of storage. Like HAVOC2k5 said i can always use my 80GB if i so run out of space

Well.. he never said you needed more storage.. what he said is that you can get a three times better hdd for half the price....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom