simple question..please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkicklikecrazyx

Beta member

ok, so i'm new here...i hope i'm posting this is the right place too. i just had a really quick question thats probably going to sound incredibly stupid, but here goes:

so i have windows xp & when i type something into a search field, like google, or just one of those little boxes...my text stays there...and everytime i go back to that little box to type something, if it has the same letter as something that i typed previously it will come up in like a little dropdown scroll box thingy...

i know this is probably hard to understand, i'm sorry, i don't really know how to explain it, i was just wondering how do i get rid of that...how do i erase the ones that are already there and stop it from doing that again???

& again i apologize, it's probably a really stupid question and it's hard to understand...i'm sorry. if you can please help though. it's very much apreciated(sp?).

thank you.

I don't know if you figured out your answer yet, but just in case...

The function you are referring to is called AutoComplete. It automatically will add/search for entries you make in a web browser (form, addressbar, etc.), and *supposedly* helps you find things faster. Anyway, here is how you can disable it:

Internet Explorer:
Open Internet Explorer
Click Tools > Internet Options
Click on the "Content" Tab
Click on the "AutoComplete" button
Disable as necessary
*May require browser restart

Mozilla FireFox:
Click Tools > Options
Click on the "Privacy" Section
Expand "Saved Form Information"
Uncheck "Save information I enter in web pages..."
Click OK

Alternately, if you just wanted to delete one particular entry in the AutoComplete box, but highlight the one you want to get rid of, and hit the "delete" key on your keyboard.

I hope this helps!

Usually when someone asks this question they are trying to erase their "tracks" presumably from their parents or boss.;)

Anyways, Babbage already posted the solution.

If you are not already, you should also look at switching to Mozilla Firefox

It's more immune to spyware, easier to wipe the tracks of (With IE, no matter what a skilled person can find where u were)

thank you baddage and others for the help.

i'm not trying to get rid of my "tracks" i just don't like the fact that my phone number and mailing adress show up when i go to order something offline. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom