i may need new psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillio

Beta member
im having a problem running my BFG-tech 6800 oc 128mb agp video card, and it may be the power supply. i bought it from someone for whom it worked perfectly.

here is what i am running. my psu (350w) is working to power this setup. there are no additional pci cards or anything.

asus a8v deluxe\
corsair xms 2x512 pc4000
venice 3000+ stock hsf
2x ide 40gb hd
1x dvd-rw
4x case fan
gainward gf4 ti 4800se
lcd display on my case (o_O)

it can power all of this w/ the +12v rail at 11.6v. when i use my 6800 instead of gf4, bg tech support says all the components im running are taking 345w total.

-using the 6800
when i use my 6800, it works fine inthe boot and in windows before nvidia firmware drivers are installed. however, after i install nvidia firmware (tried 77.72, 71.89, and bundled drivers) the problem comes. it showsme display on the bootup, up until the windows loading screen. but when it should be going into the login screen, my display suddenly goes out. i can get the display back if i either boot in safe mode or boot w/ last good config settings. bfg tech support was not able to help me w/ this problem.

-what i think
i think that this is because the 6800 uses much less power to run video from the plugnplay vga chip than to run it from the 6800 gpu. i would think a 350w psu could support at least 400w max rather than less than its rating. this is why im not sure its the psu, but tech support said it is. the number of outputs on my psu is pretty small,
2x w/2 4pin hdd molex + 1 4pin floppy molex
1x 20pin atx
1x 4pin auxilary
1x 6pin flat long thing that i dont use...
1x some other thing i dont use and cant remember (not at home).

anyways, think this is the psu?

You might not have enouph Ampage (like above). An antec 350w might work but i'd go with a 420w thermaltake (maybe even cheaper) to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom