Small 6600 gt problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
SHAWN said:
I wouldnt use anything less then a 430watt PSU with that card.

It's heavily dependant on the rest of the system, it's too much of a blanket statement.

I would say a Thermaltake TT-420AD from newegg.com

Best buy sells shitty power supply's, and the good ones are overly expensive their

How about CompUSA? As much as i love newegg, i don't feel like waiting for another 4 days for a power supply.

Download the latest driver from nvidia.com as opposed to whatever came on your cd (if you havent already)

Make sure your agp slot is running at 8x

Make sure that if the card requires extra power it is plugged in

I don't think your issues are due to the video card. But more likely due to your overall system.

1) You're using pc2700 .. You should be able to upgrade this to 3200 and will give you a slight (500mb/s or so) of extra memory throughput

2) Intel at that time did not support (im not even sure if it was out then) dual channel memory. Meaning, you only have 1 memory channel which will keep your memory throughput around 2250mb/s as opposed to 5500-6000mb/s on an amd64 with dual channel (or 10gb/s on a dual opteron with numa)

3) Make sure your windows tweaks are done.. turn off system restore, auto updates, and any virus scanners need to be disabled before you start the game

4) If that still doesnt work i'd suggest looking into overclocking your system.. the 6600s tend to have nice video overclocks you can get the innate nvidia overclocking utility unlocked by downloading and running coolbits2.reg (search google for "coolbits2.reg")

check the overclocking section in the forum for more information on cpu overclocking.

*Bump*

Thank you; i plugged it directly in to the power supply, and it worked fine. However, now i'm seeing small areas of different colors in small areas of the screen.

It's fine on the desktop and such, but it makes CS:S unplayable. Walls are entirely different colors, bands of black across the screen, etc.

I have the latest driver; what the hell is happening? I realize that i only have a 4X compatible motherboard, but this card should still work just fine.

That's called artifacting, usually caused by overheating. Card can also be completly broken.

Where can i get something that measures the temperature for it and reads it out on my computer?

I have 3 fans on the case, on top of the one on the card, so i wouldn't think it would be heating issues, but i'd like to know just in case. The first time i used the card, it was fine.

When i highlight things, the artifacting largely goes away while i'm still looking at it.

The air venting from the fan on the card isn't warm, and neither are the edges of the card. I sure hope it isn't broken.

If it is overheating, what can i do about it besides getting more fans? Are there better ones? I don't know what model mine are, but they are Raidmax, if that tells you anything.

Yea, i'm kind of pissed.

Where on the program does it measure temperature? I sure know i'm not overclocking the card.

i would assume that i need some kind of thermometer that attaches to it, unless i'm mistaken.

I could sure use some advice on fans or something (forget water cooling, i'm not spending 200 dollars ona cooling device.)

Ravenhart said:
Where on the program does it measure temperature? I sure know i'm not overclocking the card.

i would assume that i need some kind of thermometer that attaches to it, unless i'm mistaken.

I could sure use some advice on fans or something (forget water cooling, i'm not spending 200 dollars ona cooling device.)

Click on the upper customize arow and you will see some options. 5th to the right is hardware monitoring. Leave it on while you play a game. Then exit the game and see what your temps were.

There are aftermarket gpu coolers, lets see if you need one first.

I tried; there is no where on the hardware monitoring screen taht measures temperature that i have been able to find.

By the way, if it is overheating, it's overheating at the desktop too. With everything but video games, the artifacting is bearable.

Please let me know how to turn on a temperature monitor, cus i sure can't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom