Will Upgrading From DDR266 Single Channel to Dual Channel DDR400 Boost Doom 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD_Rules

Baseband Member
Hi im considering upgrading my RAM as by my signature says i have 512MB DDR266 PC2100 running on single channel i am considering upgrading to 1GB DDR400 PC3200 kit and running in dual channel and wondered if i would see a great increase in performance especially playing Doom 3

Thanks for any replies

I think that the difference would definitely be noticeable, but not huge.

Getting 1GB instead of 512MB mostly helps with level load times, and a little with the actual gameplay.

Getting PC3200 will speed level loads and gameplay up a bit as well.

I think the difference will be worth it, but dont expect your mind to be blown by a whole new computer feel:D

As for dual channel, I doubt you would even notice a difference. DC barely increases system performance (1%-5%). Still worth it, though, considering how easy it is to enable it (2 sticks of similar RAM).

Thanks for the reply there

will it stop jumpyness in the game as i have a ATI Redeon X700 and had to turn fast writes off due to freezing problem see thread:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=65617

but the gameplay seems ok the now as for my processor i know this is a different topic but do u think my porcessor is good enough for games as i will be overclocking it to about 2.4.ghz which i more than 3400+ XP ratio 1mhz amd to 1.5 Intel p4

no your mobo can not support ddr400 only ddr333. so keep what u have and get another 512mb of 2100. unless you want to go from 266 to 333. but u have to take out the 266 because the new 333 will run at 266. your board doesnt support dual channel either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom