what?! DFI MOBO needs 480+ watts!? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaross

Baseband Member
just made an order from newegg. this order included a DFI motherbaord and a 420 watt PSU. will I have problems with slightly lower then reccomended PSU?

Also, I heard I need special connectors for my DFI motherbaord. is this true? what do I need and where can I get it?

here is the PSU im trying to change my order to, but newegg is not freeking open on weekends:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148005

I also ordered:
AMD FX-55
2 gigs Patriot EP ram
2 120mm thermaltake fans
X850 PL with 256mb
2 Maxtor 160 gig HDDs SATA
:) :) :) ;) :D :cool: :eek:

Also, I hard that since I got the boundle for the AMD FX-55, it comes with a nice CPU fan and heatsink. when I made my order, i did not know that, so I searched and purchased a CPU fan and heatsink that seemed to have a high rait of airflow. I got an Arctic-Cooling one. should I try to take that back too, or is it better then the cpu fan and heatsink that come with the FX-55?

You're going to need more than 420 watts simply because of the powerful rig you've ordered, not necessarily because of the motherboard. I would recommend at least a high-quality 450 watt psu from a reputable brand. That 500w should be ok, but you might want to look into a better brand (should as enermax, thermaltake, or ocz).

The aftermarket heatsink you ordered is most likely of a higher quality than the stock one, so you should be fine there.

DO NOT GET THAT ASPIRE PSU, THEY ARE VERY CHEAP

You need an ATX V2 / 24 Pin PSU, and yes with your setup I would look no lower than a GOOD (not aspire) PSU.

How much do you have to spend on a PSU?

I would like to spend at little as possible. DFI suggests atleat 480 watts. could I get buy with a 460 watt thermaltake one for $80. also, DFI suggests 2 12 volt things (umm I forget what they are called)

are you sure the aspire psus suck? i mean it says the same efficency as the others (70% min) and i know this doenst mean a whole lot but all the reviews are a full 5 stars.

anyway, here is what i found:
Enermax:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103457
Antec:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103937
thermaltake:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153022

I like the price of the Antec, but it doesnt look like it comes with any fan, HDD, or optical drive connectors. I also like the antec because it doesnt have another fan to spue hot air in my case.

A local shop is trying to sell me a A-power 500 watt PSU for $50. if that a decent company?

After talking with the guy at the local shop a bit more, he said I could get by fine with a Cooler Master 430 watt PSU. he said that the reason DFI wants 480 watts is because most power suppilys are crap, but that the Cooler Master one has a very steady flow and would be fine even though it is only 430 watts.

its looking like I will either be getting that, or the Antec I linked to.

also, the guy said that the PSU he was trying to sell me was not 24 pin but he could sell me a 4 pin adapter. he said it would be as good as getting a 24 pin PSU

4 pin adapters do virtually no good at all, if you need one, your likely going to melt something.

Cooler Master are not that good, and I have never even heard of A-Power

All of those 3 power supply's you posted are great, DFI may recomend dual 12 volt rails, but it's unnescarry

looks like that antec is just about as cheap as the ones that dont have 2 12v rails. I could look other places though.

switched up the order today because since it was the weekend it didnt ship out. newegg lost a few points for me because they would not awnser their phone (i wasnt on hold, it would just ring and ring and ring and hang up). whatever, their prices are so good, i will probably still use them. Keept calling back, Eventually instead of just ringing it was put on hold.

I switched out the aspire case for one that doesnt come with a PSU and got the 500w Antec one and the same case only $20 cheaper and withought a crappy PSU. everything should be good now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom