Can't get my comp to recognize my drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I did had the hard drive hooked into IDE1 and the cd drive into IDE2 but the reason I even put the disk drive on slave was to see if there was a problem with IDE2, but I now know there isnt a problem with IDE2, so I put the cd drive back to master of IDE2.

Also as you said for me to do I went to the device manager and went into the properties of parallel ATA controller under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. I clicked the Primary channel tab and I could not find anything reguarding Auto Detection or DMA. I also went into the Secondary channel tab and everything in there was greyed out, I suppose this is where my disk drive is suppose to be showing up, but as I said its all greyed out saying no device.

Also reguarding deleting regristry files, I dont know what those really are and where they are, arn't regristry files the files Windows uses to keep track of what hardware is in your computer and what windows options you have selected?

I really appreciate the help

It seems to me that your motherboard is not recognizing this drive properly. I think the first issue to deal with is to get it to show up in BIOS consistently. If it's not doing that, it won't do any good to update/reinstall drivers in windows. You mentioned you looked in BIOS before, so I assume you are fairly comfortable going back in and checking the settings. Make sure Master/Slave IDE devices are on Auto. If you have the option, you might was to consider loading "Fail-safe defaults". I strongly suggest you make notes of your current settings before changing anything, just in case you need to revert to them. Curiosity, has this drive ever worked in this computer before?

Yeah I've had the drive for a while. But just a couple days ago it suddenly stopped reading disks, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

I went into the bios and took a look. Seems like it is recognizing the NEC ND-3500AG drive as a secondary master (as its suppose to be) everytime I boot into bios, but whenever I set it to auto and then boot up to windows and restart and look at it again in bios, it is set on none instead of auto. I also tried loading fail safe defaults but it didn't work.

Ok I just tested it with another drive. Still I get the same problem, it goes to auto to none still and I still sometimes have to re scan for the drive to make it show it bios. I must say, this is the strangest problem I have ever ran into:confused: . I suppose the best I can do now is just play more around in the bios changing settings. Unless you have another idea I can try.

Ok I have tried everything that I can think of. Is anyone sure they don't have any ideas that I can try?

ok.... I even re formatted my hard drive incase it was some weird imbedded software fault. But is wasn't! My disk drive is still not there. This is the most fursurating problem I have ever delt with. So no one has any idea's?

Sorry for my 4th post in a row but I fixed it. I installed a whole new drive. Strngely the last time I did this it didn't work. Well it works not at least. Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom