Seeking advice in building a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallblock

In Runtime
Help! I need help from those who have more knowledge than me so that I can put together my own computer.

I have a Dell computer (Dimension 8200) that I bought a year and a half ago and just got off the phone with Dell, it seems they've upgraded to a new 8300 model and wont be making upgrade components beyond drives and such for my current one, but thewy would be happy to transfer me to sales so I can order a new machine.

As my frustration settled I began toying with the idea of putting together my own machine that could easily be upgraded as technology changes.

I spent a good part of yesterday doing research on the internet and have decided that I am going to have to ask for others opinions, there is just too much info to absorb.

I want a machine that I can do gaming with and run Office when I work, ofthen with Outllok, Word, Excel, and my internet browser running with out bogging down.

Can you guys help me by suggesting what components I might need? My current motherboard only has 2 DIMM's for memory, I would like 4. I would like 4 or more slots for expansion so I can add my ethernet card, USB 4 slot card, and other various items.

I don't want an intigrated video card, I will add my own.

I want to stick with a Pentium 4 if possible.

I want to spend $500-600 on a MoBo and the Processor, can you guys suggest what I might need?

What Mid-Cases are good?

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks,

Heath

mobo=p4c800 e-dlx=280$ canadian dollars
Cpu=p4 3ghz c 800 fsb=420 canadian
any enlight cases are good for the job and for the psu go with a good quality one like thermeltake. A crappy one even with a lot of power will blow your new systme sky high/.

If you insist on sticking to Intel i would suggest the following, it is affordable and a great combo:

MoBo:ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
Processor:p4 2.6CGHz w/ Hyper Threading Technology
Memory:512MB Corsair XMS (DDR)
HardDrive:80GB Western Digital

and if i were building the system for myself i would go with an Antec case...probably the Sonata

A great site to buy PC components is Newegg.com and for info on the construction visit build-your-own-computers.com

for a decent systme a 350w thermeltake psu will do wonders. Even a 300w now a days can handle top end systmes. Thermeltake cases are top of the line, and go a head and buy one. i like intel over amd my self but im starting to build with amd because i dont need high end machines and am is slightly cheaper by 1 or 2 hundred. Intel is for high end gaming rigs really.
DDr=Double data rate. it's 2 times as fast as sdram. and when putting 2 identicle sticks together it creates 10% performance boost
Floppy man has a great resource here
http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?threadid=67892

Ur dell machine is upgradebul, spite dell not wanting to do it themselves... u can stick some memory in there, a new chip/mobo, video card.....

but if u wanna build ur own i suggest u first come up with a number, like a thousand, or nine hundred and price up components til u get there (NewEgg is a great place to buy from, if u can find stuff a little cheaper other places i dont suggest taking the gamble and not getting ur parts for weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom