Power Questions about Nvidia Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
4W4K3 said:
It looks liek a POS, what brand is it?

Maximum Power: 500W (advertised as 550watter?)
Hold-up Time: Not specified
Efficiency: Not specified
Overload Protection: Not specified

What are the amperage rating on each rail? Is it active or Passive PFC? They basically tell you NOTHING abotu the PSU.

Nothing against you, just the PSU itself lol.

I was looking for the link for the actual one that I bought. it's an echo star 580 PSU for 25.00. no, there is no fancy colors or gimmicks (it don't look as cheesy as that one in the picture do, but that one works too. it's in my other computer,an amd 2800)

http://www.gotink4u.com/EVER/items/PWR-ESTAR-580-N.htm

I can't tell you the amp rating without taking that psu out of the computer. But Let me tell you about the store. it's call computer factory. it's the best store here in Columbus Ohio. they guarantee their parts for 90 day (everybody else store is good 30 days), they don't carry junk. they have the cheapest prices around that isn't an online store.

My echo star 580 watt psu is hooked up to a amd 3700 , an asus A8V mobo with 1 gig ram. I have a nvtv hardware encoder card (for my MCE2005 side), and an osprey 2000 ($3000.00 card for my xp sp2 side of a dual boot system) hardware encoder card. I have a netstream 2000 dvd hardware decoder card ($300.00) a soundblaster audigy 2, 3 hardrives (50, 160 sata, 250 gig) a samsung dvdrom cd burner, a pioneer dvd burner dvr 109 and 6 fans. it run them with no problems

check out their $49.00 one. it's a hundred dollars at all of the others stores around here

http://www.dotdotpc.com/powersupplies.htm

apokalipse said:

the brand of the one EricB posted is an "Arrow"
that's what it says on the side. it doesn't look very good though, only an 80mm fan on the top, and a whole lot of "Not Specified"

for a PSU, /B]

it has 2 fans.

I have a cheap 420watt generic PSu that came w/ my Raidmax case. I run
AMD AthlonXP 2600+ @2.3ghz
512 CorsairValue select 2-2-2-5
Geforce5600ultra 390/440
SB Live! 5.1 W/ the LIVE drive
80gig ATA100 HD
CDR/W
7 80mm fans 1 120mm fan (5000RPM) and a 90mm Vantec tornado
PLus a 12v fan on the chipset and a Smartfan2 (thermaltake) on my CPU. Runs everything fine and dosent seem to get hot either.

EricB said:
I was looking for the link for the actual one that I bought. it's an echo star 580 PSU for 25.00. no, there is no fancy colors or gimmicks (it don't look as cheesy as that one in the picture do, but that one works too. it's in my other computer,an amd 2800)

http://www.gotink4u.com/EVER/items/PWR-ESTAR-580-N.htm

I can't tell you the amp rating without taking that psu out of the computer. But Let me tell you about the store. it's call computer factory. it's the best store here in Columbus Ohio. they guarantee their parts for 90 day (everybody else store is good 30 days), they don't carry junk. they have the cheapest prices around that isn't an online store.

My echo star 580 watt psu is hooked up to a amd 3700 , an asus A8V mobo with 1 gig ram. I have a nvtv hardware encoder card (for my MCE2005 side), and an osprey 2000 ($3000.00 card for my xp sp2 side of a dual boot system) hardware encoder card. I have a netstream 2000 dvd hardware decoder card ($300.00) a soundblaster audigy 2, 3 hardrives (50, 160 sata, 250 gig) a samsung dvdrom cd burner, a pioneer dvd burner dvr 109 and 6 fans. it run them with no problems

check out their $49.00 one. it's a hundred dollars at all of the others stores around here

http://www.dotdotpc.com/powersupplies.htm

the amps per rail are pretty low

- +3.3V , 35A
- +5V , 45A
- +12V , 19A

im not saying it won't work, but according to the specs i wouldn't personally trust it for anything but stock. that and i never heard of the brand b4, but that's not really a big deal. regarding specs i wouldn't pay $100 for it anyday lol, maybe $40 max.

my girlfriend also has a no-name generic 480w PSU, it powers everything in her PC jsut fine for a long time now. But would i trust that PSU in my rig? hell no, it weighs like 1lb and the specs are just normal. my 350w spare is a quality enermax one but she won't take it cuz its not as many watt. :\

I have a cheap raidmax like PP

It DOES NOT run my setup, yet a thermaltake of the same "wattage" does

I have another no name PS

It DID run the computer, until the power supply fried the ENTIRE computer.

4W4K3 said:
the amps per rail are pretty low

- +3.3V , 35A
- +5V , 45A
- +12V , 19A

im not saying it won't work, but according to the specs i wouldn't personally trust it for anything but stock. that and i never heard of the brand b4, but that's not really a big deal. regarding specs i wouldn't pay $100 for it anyday lol, maybe $40 max.

my girlfriend also has a no-name generic 480w PSU, it powers everything in her PC jsut fine for a long time now. But would i trust that PSU in my rig? hell no, it weighs like 1lb and the specs are just normal. my 350w spare is a quality enermax one but she won't take it cuz its not as many watt. :\

DJ-CHRIS said:
I have a cheap raidmax like PP

It DOES NOT run my setup, yet a thermaltake of the same "wattage" does

I have another no name PS

It DID run the computer, until the power supply fried the ENTIRE computer.

so what rails should I look for? I though that I had a good PSU

EricB said:
so what rails should I look for? I though that I had a good PSU

those are the 3 most important rails, 3.3v, 5v, and 12. the negative ones dont play quite as big a role. Your 3.3 and 5 seem pretty good, but 19A on the 12v rails isn't going to cut it for overclocking most of the time. I believe minimum amopps you want for 12v rail is 18A, and your only 1 over.

if your not looking to overclock alot, or just overclock slightly, you won't have a problem running with that PSU (providing it's quality as you say, which i wot question.) but i wouldn't try anything extreme with is, because of the 12v rail.

my 350w enermax that came with my case (use as a spare) is pretty cheap too, but it's lasted for over a year or 2. some PSU's while looking cheap, are really OK. but i'd never overclock with it either.

4W4K3 said:
those are the 3 most important rails, 3.3v, 5v, and 12. the negative ones dont play quite as big a role. Your 3.3 and 5 seem pretty good, but 19A on the 12v rails isn't going to cut it for overclocking most of the time. I believe minimum amopps you want for 12v rail is 18A, and your only 1 over.

if your not looking to overclock alot, or just overclock slightly, you won't have a problem running with that PSU (providing it's quality as you say, which i wot question.) but i wouldn't try anything extreme with is, because of the 12v rail.

my 350w enermax that came with my case (use as a spare) is pretty cheap too, but it's lasted for over a year or 2. some PSU's while looking cheap, are really OK. but i'd never overclock with it either.

ok but what should I use when I decide to overclock (in amps for the 12 volt line)

EricB said:
ok but what should I use when I decide to overclock (in amps for the 12 volt line)

personally i recommend at least 25amps on the 12v, that will guarantee a steady power flow with even extreme overclocks, and should also mean the PSU will last a pretty long time no matter what.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182010

i bought that, and it's not really even that expensive. 30A, 50A, and 35A on the 3 rails. Best PSU i've ever had. The 120mm fan that keeps it cool is also very quiet and you can control fan speed from back if u like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom