Computer randomly crashing/restarting when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidicRage

Baseband Member
This has been a problem of mine since 2 years ago. At first, I didn't want to "try" to fix it because I thought it was just the load of spyware + regular computer usage. Then about a month ago, I attempted to fix it by just reformatting my computer and reinstalling everything. At first I thought this would work, but I notice it didn't. My computer specs are:

P4 2.2 GHz
GF4 Ti4600 128MB
1024 MB (2 x 512) PC2100 DDR RAM
Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

I know my computer is old and sucks. It's about 3.5 yrs old (at that time, it was top of the line!) and I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon... but maybe in the next 1-2 years. My problem is that whenever I play ANY video game (mostly 3D or graphics-intensive games), my computer will randomly restart SOMETIMES (not all of the time, but it happens frequently than coincidentally just a regular crash). It will usually do one of the following:

- Crash to desktop without notice
- Crash to desktop WITH notice (It is always a "memory corruption" type error)
- Computer restarts randomly in the middle of the game (I'll be playing and soon I will be saying wtf?)

After reformatting, the problem still exists. This restarting/crashing seems to happen more often with different games, too. The solutions I've tried include installing DIFFERENT graphics drivers to see if it's a driver problem, using a memory testing program to determine if my memory/RAM is failing, and last reinstalling the different games it crashes on. I've also have the latest updates including sound, chipset, BIOS, motherboard, game updates, etc... (since I just reformatted and did a clean install not too long ago)

After doing all that, it still happens, but just randomly... sometimes 2 minutes into the game, sometimes 30, sometimes never.... But it's there, though.

I think the only thing I haven't done is actually check the internal hardware myself like the graphics card. I suspect it could be overheating (since my card is quite old and I've maybe worn it out...the fan has died perhaps?) or my RAM is failing. I dunno... any suggestions or other diagnostics I should try? Thanks.

I remember having a similar problem, it was my video card's gpu over heating. I would try searching for a program that tracks how hot your gpu or cpu gets, Im sorry that I don't know of such a program off hand. Your bios may tell you how hot your cpu gets but I don't think gpu (at least mine doesn't).

Also I've seen a problem like what is happening to you caused by the power supply, but how I fixed that was I swapped my power supply with another one to see if it was a power supply problem and sure enough it was. At that point I just bought a new power supply. Maybe if you have a extra power supply you can test to see if its your power supply that is failing.

Nano is correct on both accounts. It is either a power problem where it isnt getting enough power to your video card and crash. Or that it is overheating from being used to much and crash. Also if it is a memory error that you always get try to check your memory make sure all of it is good.

Hmm.. okay, thanks. The only memory diagnostic thing I used (as mentioned above in my post) was Windiag. I ran it for a few hours and it stated no errors. I guess I should try something else like MemTest to rule out my memory problem, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom