Computer Woes (Two Months and Running)

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremecrew

Beta member
I've been working on my family's HP Pavilion 750n for two months now without avail. Three months ago, I could startup programs simultaneously (AIM and Steam Powered for example) in one to two seconds. A month later, I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro to start new. When I started up the same programs it took around 20 to 30 seconds. This problem actually encompassed the entire system, with any program, individual or simultaneous. Boot times have also increased from 30 seconds or so to around two minutes.

The following is a list of actions that I have taken to try to fix the problem, but with minimal increase in performance:

-Adaware Complete Scan: nothing found
-Trendmicro Online Complete Scan: nothing found
-Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool: nothing found
-a2 scanner: nothing
-hijackthis: nothing
-McAfee AVERT Stinger: none
-Windows Update on all Critical, Optional and Hardware updates
-BIOS Update
-Intel Chipset Accelerator Updates
-Microsoft Disk Cleanup
-Microsoft Defragmenter
-Cacheman Optimization
-RegCleaner
-Microsoft BootVis
-Checked if DMA was enabled on HD: enabled and using it
-Checked CPU BIOS if DMA is enabled: enabled
-Checked where HD is located: it's on Primary Master, no Slave on Primary, though Secondary Master running DMA and Slave running PIO, and DMA is enabled on both...
-Ran DirectX Diagnostics: no problems found
-Device Manager: no hardware conflicts
-Checked connections of cables inside of tower, RAM changed out with different brand, same type: no change
-Checked whether PCI 1 Slot is open (explanation later): open
-Router's DHCP has been turned off and on again: no change in IP problem
-ComputersÂ’ IPs have been set to Static

So the problems I know about now is that
-Recent NVIDIA Drivers do not recognize any hardware that are compatible (?)
-IP Conflict comes up every hour or so (?)
-Slow down in all applications and boot time

I know that if you have an AGP card, the PCI 1 Slot is being shared with resources so itÂ’s advantageous not to put anything on the PCI 1 Slot.

I have Sandra Lite and some other diagnostic programs if anyone needs any more information that what is provided in my profile. If anyone has any advice or any steps I should do, it would be much appreciated.

Computer Stats:
HP Pavilion 750n
Windows XP Pro
Asus P4B266LA
Pentium4 1.6Ghz
2x 256MB DDR233-RAM
AGP NVIDIA TNT2 Model64Pro
SAMSUNG SV8004H 75GB HD on Master 1 running DMA 5
CD-Writer on Master 2 running PIO 4, DVD-R on Slave 2 running DMA 2

One laptop and one other desktop both running XP Pro.

IP problem has been fixed. The 1394 controller had been set to an Automatic IP, and since the system had a static IP, the 1394 controller assumed the IP of the system, causing a conflict.
It would be great to remember this for anyone else with an IP problem =)

I had that once I think it might have been the order of installing drivers. I now only install them Mobo drivers (since it's nForce it has almost everything) then video card drivers and I dont touch any settings before installing both drivers and restarting. Idk try reformatting and installing windows again that might help.

**Note**: My way is not proven or anything just I'm special and that's how I work :)

lol specialness might save this computer lol. HP was recently sued for their hidden partition system, which I unfortunantly have, and I never received back up disks. I only have the upgrade of XP Pro, and HP installed Home as the OS. I won't receive the disks till October, since that's when the settlement wont be able to be repealed, so is there any other way to reverse and try again? (I don't save extreme amounts of restore points =)).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom