Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the file system different? Also isn't media going to be different or the way it is handled? What operating system do you use?

well, the eye candy will get bored so quickly when everyone has the same theme :D

that is why on my family's computer which runs win xp, i put it back into classical theme, and just a plain blue background (i don't look at it anyhow, Opera starts automatically with computer, so i start with the page i last visted)..

i used to put so much program that modify my theme, but slows my computer down to a crawl.. so eye candy is out of the window for me, if i can't change it back to classical theme, i'm not ganna use it...

I tried fluxbox on my freebsd box, and i'm loving it, just a simple window manager.. that's it, only displays windows :D

yah, sure vista has alot of improvements (i'm sure because even MS has to give some improvement before they can justify their 2 year delays :|), but the eye candy isn't really good for the users.. they should just give you a powerful theme editor (allow you to change every aspect), and a couple of basic theme which user can modify, then a done theme, for those who don't change :|

Bah Eric don't lie just because I'm on vacation. WinFS did not fail in any aspect. Beta 1 for it has been released and it will be included in the Premium verson of Vista which ships in 2007 not 2006. Be patient also your list is coming when I return.

furtivefelon not everyone will have the same theme read up on Vista. There are three themes Areo, Areo Glass, Areo Diamond. Each one is better than the other and depending on your vid card you will have a certian theme. Also check the minimum specs on the first post in this thread if you can only use classic theme Vista is not for you heck XP may be too much even.

And yes eye candy is good but I stick to my previous posts it is not everything and one should not judge an OS because of the eye candy. That is why I think it is vital that windows has finally found a way of effectivly reducing the threat of viruses with the reworked kernal. The NT kernal (6.0) has been reworked to follow it's competitors... NT has been changed to restrict system wide control to unauthorised users and threats even while logged onto the administrative account just like Linux. Mock MS for following them if you want but this is one of the best things they ever done. The security of Linux and the compatability of Microsoft together is something impressive indeed.

Solaris yes it does Avolon, Indigo, WinFS, Side Bar, Virtual Folders to name a few. My memory fails me but isn't XP 500 megs with all the new features Vista is holding it puts it up to 2.5 gigs currently in a beta form. How could that be an upgrade this is the next OS no denying that.

TheHeadFL I've used MS-DOS up to Vista Beta 1 this includes all Server Version OS's. For Linux I've used Fedora, Red Hat, Damn Small, Mandriva, SuSe. For UNIX I've used Solaris. My main stream OS's the ones I've mostelly used in my life were. MS-DOS (Two Semesters about) Win 3.1 (Goold quarter of a year) Win 95 (over 4 years) Win2k (1 good year) WinME (quarter of a year or less) WinXP (3 years and counting). Vista (on and off based when new releases are made). I've tried NT4.0 but not long enough to call it a main OS I used but none the less in the time I used it it was buggy.

Tyler1989 said:
Bah Eric don't lie just because I'm on vacation. WinFS did not fail in any aspect. Beta 1 for it has been released and it will be included in the Premium verson of Vista which ships in 2007 not 2006. Be patient also your list is coming when I return.

furtivefelon not everyone will have the same theme read up on Vista. There are three themes Areo, Areo Glass, Areo Diamond. Each one is better than the other and depending on your vid card you will have a certian theme. Also check the minimum specs on the first post in this thread if you can only use classic theme Vista is not for you heck XP may be too much even.

And yes eye candy is good but I stick to my previous posts it is not everything and one should not judge an OS because of the eye candy. That is why I think it is vital that windows has finally found a way of effectivly reducing the threat of viruses with the reworked kernal. The NT kernal (6.0) has been reworked to follow it's competitors... NT has been changed to restrict system wide control to unauthorised users and threats even while logged onto the administrative account just like Linux. Mock MS for following them if you want but this is one of the best things they ever done. The security of Linux and the compatability of Microsoft together is something impressive indeed.

Solaris yes it does Avolon, Indigo, WinFS, Side Bar, Virtual Folders to name a few. My memory fails me but isn't XP 500 megs with all the new features Vista is holding it puts it up to 2.5 gigs currently in a beta form. How could that be an upgrade this is the next OS no denying that.

TheHeadFL I've used MS-DOS up to Vista Beta 1 this includes all Server Version OS's. For Linux I've used Fedora, Red Hat, Damn Small, Mandriva, SuSe. For UNIX I've used Solaris. My main stream OS's the ones I've mostelly used in my life were. MS-DOS (Two Semesters about) Win 3.1 (Goold quarter of a year) Win 95 (over 4 years) Win2k (1 good year) WinME (quarter of a year or less) WinXP (3 years and counting). Vista (on and off based when new releases are made). I've tried NT4.0 but not long enough to call it a main OS I used but none the less in the time I used it it was buggy.

wow....

you just don't have a clue.

Winfs is leaking too much memory right now and they haven't fix it yet. they also redid the way it was made and it still don't work. they just expect to have it fix by then. I bet it don't reach the public until 2008.

I didn't lie. you just did.

is vista still going to use that really advanced database server thingy they always talked about a couple years ago?

You think that "auditing" a few old OSs for a few weeks means you've 'used' them?

You seem to have a pretty low opinion of NT4 for having admittedly never used it.... It really ticks me off that so many people nowadays slam NT4, but they never used it. I used to be a domain admin on a 20,000+ node network with (at one time) over 150 NT4.0 servers at a previous job. NT4 is rock solid.

<--- MCSE NT 4.0, among other things.

Tyler1989 said:

yes were all quite aware how much you love vista and this os can never do wrong in your eyes and its worth every penny.
but 3rd party programs can do things like virtual folders and stuff lke that some of which is free, why would you insist that any of the features in vista make it worth $300

it has things like pervasive device sync...wow but the problem is i would never ever ever use that and people who do can use other software on xp to allow them to sync thier pda's and such.
there are already programs for xp that make the gui's, animated desktops, 3d icons etc use the graphics card. theres the transformation pack, people can have every peice of eye candy thats on vista on their xp.

xp is only 120 megs thanks to nlite, the rest is bloatware, theres just more of it in vista, its going to be quite a resource hog.
theres still nothing truely innovative about vista, 80% of its features can be found using 3rd party programs on xp, all of which comes no where near the $300 tag

What operating systems are you guys running. Just curious. Anyone who reads this can please answer. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom