Upgrading my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelminns

Baseband Member
I would like to upgrade my computer for gaming purposes mostly. Unfortunately i am a hack when it comes to this stuff, so i need help.

Current setup.

motherboard - k8m800m (no idea what that means, lol)
AMD Athlon 64 3000
GeForce FX5200 128mb
Soundblaster Audigy
512 MB DDR Ram

1. What TYPE of ram is the best? I would like to upgrade to 2 GB of DDR2 RAM but i am not sure if it is compatible with my system? (i am in the dark when it comes to ram)
2. Any recommendations on a high performance video card?
3. Does Soundblaster Audigy work with 5.1 speaker setups?
4. I am hoping i wont have to upgrade the processor. Advice?
5. How long until my motherboard will need to be upgraded?
6. Other comments/tips? (I need all the help i can get)

THANKS!

http://gigabyte.electronics-directo...A_K8M800M_Socket_754_MATX_Audio-LAN-RAID.html

Socket 754... Ouch!

1. AMD does not support DDR2. PC3200 is the max that AMDs support.

2. The best you can afford, nVidia or ATI is personal preference.

3. For what they want for one, it should.

4. Advice? Ditch both it and your mobo and get a socket 939.

5. Now. Socket 754 is just a really, really bad dream.

6. Look at the DFI Lanparty mobos, those that have the nForce4 chips. The 939s are coming down in price, and the DFIs overclock like crazy... see where this is going? Everything else will transfer over.

Is your RAM a single stick, or a matched pair? If it is a single, get another one so you can utilize the dual-channel RAM offered by the 939s.

if it were me, I'd get a whopping video card, like a 9800 series and beef up the ram a little. I think that could still be a very mean gaming machine for a few years.

Ryan

AMD Athlon 64 3000
GeForce FX5200 128mb
Soundblaster Audigy
512 MB DDR Ram

1. What TYPE of ram is the best? I would like to upgrade to 2 GB of DDR2 RAM but i am not sure if it is compatible with my system? (i am in the dark when it comes to ram)

AMD does not use DDR2. Best ram to get is DDR400 PC3200. That motherboard got only 2 slots. I think 2GB a little over kill. I would recommend upgrading to 1GB of memory.
2. Any recommendations on a high performance video card?

6600GT/6800GT depending on your budget. You will need to get the AGP version.

3. Does Soundblaster Audigy work with 5.1 speaker setups?

I pretty sure yes

4. I am hoping i wont have to upgrade the processor. Advice?

The cpu should be fine for now

5. How long until my motherboard will need to be upgraded?

Depends on how high end you want to stay. Some people would say upgrade to skt 939 now. Personally I would stick with your skt 754 board untll skt M2 is release in about a year.

6. Other comments/tips? (I need all the help i can get)

Future is going to be PCI-E so if you buy a agp video card now (which is your only option with your motherboard) then when you do upgrade motherboard you will also have to buy a new video card.

On the otherhand if you upgrade your motherboard now you will also need a new cpu. There really no way to win.

I would upgrade ram to 1gb, get a agp 6600GT, keep your current motherboard. In about a year when skt M2 comes out then it time to start thinking of a new motherboard.

wow. You guys are helpful, thanks. But I need more help lol.

So if I take Ryans advice, and spend a lot on a video card and a bit on ram ( i like this idea), when i upgrade my motherboard later the expensive video card will be useless... crap. And if i upgrade the motherboard now, I'll need a new processor as well?... crap, might as well buy a new computer.

Could someone explain PCI-E and AGP. My motherboard will only support AGP video cards? So that makes this one out of the question i guess.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1476606&CatId=1558

How much is the AGP 6600GT roughly. (a link would be awesome)
gold your final advice seems to be the best right now. How well will the setup you mentioned be able to run games?

I should mention that i would like to hook up 2 monitors for AutoCAD purposes. Can i keep my old video card hooked up and use it for one and the new one for the other? (This may also be a ridiculous question)

Heres a fun game for you. Make me a computer and leave a link. (canadian store)

http://www.geekshack.com/build_your_own.php

Thanks all.

I'm still saying stick with the video card and ram idea... There's no need to go all out when the components you have are still awesome. An AMD 64 3000 is what I just ordered... There's nothing wrong with your motherboard and CPU. If you're into gaming, get a nice 9800 pro or an X8** something video card. AGP isn't backwards... To my knowledge they haven't even maxed out it's capabilities yet. I understand it that they're just trying to get a new slot in the market to prevent that from happening. I think your current setup has potential with more ram and a video card.

Ryan

If you get a geforce 6600GT just about all of them has a VGA and a DVI connection on it. You should be able to hook a monitor to both of them at a same time. (there are DVI to VGA converters if you need 2 vga monitors). This should make it so there no need to keep your old video card in your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom