installing windows 98 on laptop new harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat99

Solid State Member
Just got a new hard disk for my old laptop Toshiba Portege 3440, but failed to install windows 98 on it.

I don't have a CD Rom and have lost the recovery CD from Toshiba, but have got a windows 98 CD from another computer. I have made a start up floppy with it and copied the Windows CD onto the new hard drive. But can't boot the computer.

Is that because I'm using an USB floppy drive? What else should I try?

Have you gone into the bios to see if your boot order is correct?

Another thought is that your computer doesn't have an OS on it, it won't have the usb drivers for your floppy drive.

How did you get the files onto your laptop computer? Did you hook it up to another machine or something. Because you could try installing your windows 98 on the harddrive before it's in your laptop.

Hope that gives you some ideas

pat99 said:
Just got a new hard disk for my old laptop Toshiba Portege 3440, but failed to install windows 98 on it.

I don't have a CD Rom and have lost the recovery CD from Toshiba, but have got a windows 98 CD from another computer. I have made a start up floppy with it and copied the Windows CD onto the new hard drive. But can't boot the computer.

Is that because I'm using an USB floppy drive? What else should I try?

These instructions will give you the step by step process to do what you are doing...

how to install windows 98 on a new hard drive

you need to find all drivers for your laptop.. because laptop drivers is included on the recovery disk..

i'm not so sure about the installing win 98 on another computer and move the hard drive, as it might not work because of the computer differences.. though i have never tried it before :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom