File transfer question

Status
Not open for further replies.
ingeborgdot said:
Yes, I understand that part it's the part where you say map a new network drive from the tools menu in my computer that I don't get.

I don't know about that.

after you name the computer to the same workgroup (reboot required)

every folder or hardrive that you want to share, just right click it and select share and share it

just head to my network place and they will be there

I know how to reformat and the like but my big question is about partioning. I will have a 250gb seagate sata. When I do partion it I will make it about 30gb, right? So I have the os on this side, the other part will be document,pic,music and what else???? This is where I get lost and don't dare make a mistake because mistakes cost you a LOT of time. What about programs like my digital image suite, studio 9,avg antivirus,excel,outlook,powerpoint, word, windows media player,and all the other programs that are in the start menu. The things that are in the other partition how do you get to them? These are things that are just out of my comfort zone and have been a little chicken to do. I'm sure all will be fine but I just gotta do it I guess. Thanks for your help so far.

make sure you hit f6 and have your floppy for your sata driver when you install windows. use you xp cd to partition. I personally would make 1 os drive (30gig) and 2 110 gig partition (music and document or movie drive). put your program on the OS part.

you can't move programs from another computer (only mac's can do that)

All programs must be reinstalled, ok got that.

When the f6 option appears and I insert the floppy which options do I check? All of them or which one as I think there are 3 options.

You said make the first partition 30 with os and programs, and second 110 but what about the other 110gb because it is a 250gb hdd. Would it hurt to make os 40 or is that even necessary?

Again, Eric thanks for your time.

ingeborgdot said:
All programs must be reinstalled, ok got that.

When the f6 option appears and I insert the floppy which options do I check? All of them or which one as I think there are 3 options.

You said make the first partition 30 with os and programs, and second 110 but what about the other 110gb because it is a 250gb hdd. Would it hurt to make os 40 or is that even necessary?

Again, Eric thanks for your time.

1. there should be only 1 xp option
2. you can, but there really isn't any reason for have an OS drive bigger than 30 gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom