Microsoft Antispyware Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Over the weekend, I install 5 copies of XP Pro on VM Ware 5 with no service packs, no updates, no other software but whatever comes with XP, no AV, no FW. I downloaded 5 different versions of spyware software:

Ad Aware SE 6 Personal Updated
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 Updated
Microsoft Anti Spyware Updated
Webroot Updated
Xoft Spy Updated

Each copy of XP had 1 each of those programs

I went to all the warez sites I know if, serialz, etc and downloaded every popup that I saw, every trial offer, you name it, it let it install. I was on the net for 5 minutes and got hammered with spyware, trojans, etc. I wanted to see which spyware would clean my system the best. Out of all the spyware programs, Microsofts did the best for removing a lot of spyware, but not all. The worst was Webroot and Xoftspy. With that in mind, Microsoft is the best in my opinion. I rebooted in safemode and Microsoft Removed about 90% of spyware, but I was still infected. The other programs were ok, you can see them fighting with the programs, watching the desktop change back in forth, back in forth, but the spyware won. Microsofts side left the desktop limegreen, instead on black border with a red box in the middle telling you to download software, the other 4 installs were hosed. You all should try this yourself. I was going to post a hijackthis log but forgot to save the log so I could show you all what I had. It was a mess. Anyone ever done this before?

Update:
I used the rest in safemode, they removed some more but nothing like Microsoft, Spybot was second.

i use adware,spyboy and microsoft.

i think they all have there strengths.

interesting test though.

Microsoft purchased a great piece of software when they bought out the Giant Spyware company. But for what ever reason they decided to lay in bed with Claria, the makers of Gator. Perhaps one of the most hated pieces of spyware ever known and gave all Claria spywares a clean bill of health thus not detecting them.

For that reason alone I make sure I double up with Spybot S&D as well. But mostly I tend to surf safe sites, I said mostly. ;)

but claria has changed..alot actually, its no longer spyware really but everyone will still want to think it is.
every antispy maker has their own definitions of what programs fit to be called spyware and is why they detect differently..many report Backweb to be spyware, actually all it does is download updates automatically for all your hardware or basically whatever type of update the pc maker wants.
its the potential that the software could be used for bad is why its labled, even though no company has yet see it being used for bad.

Just make sure you all dont connect it to your network and you will not be infected, guaranteed.

just use another web browser.. it always worked for me..

nah, you don't need to buy a copy of vmware, their software is expensive and they know it.. so that is why they offer a 30 day trial (a pretty lenghy time for a major software), and if you request with the SAME e-mail address, they'll send you anther 30 day for no problem at all (at least a month ago they did), i requested 3 times, they all complied..

i don't really use any anti-spyware software until my computer is noticably slowed down.. then i run scanner (both virus and spyware), never tried MS spyware thing, but i'll try that next time i need to scan :D (i want to do this experiment, but it take wayyy too long, and i don't know that many warez site, actually, i don't know any warez site..)

Just type in warez and youll get a bunch and serialz sites. download warez p2p and there is a nasty bug in there too. You need a lot of memory to run VM ware without slowing your whole pc down. I have 1.5 gb and it slowed me down. Each OS had 256mb memory, if you raised one to 756 or higher, the other wouldnt run. Its a fun experiment if you have about an hour or so. A little tip, instead of install 5 OS's on it, just copy and paste the vmware os you just made, send it to your desktop, rename it, then send it back to the vmware folder, or you could make a clone of it within vmware but that takes longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom