help me please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey ive just been talking to my mate he says i should have been pressing f4 on the start of the installation where it says raid and something else because he said thats what my sata hd is and then i need to get that maxtor thing or the one i got with my mobo to be booted then i can install xp is this right?

omg!!!! You do not need to use raid!!!! you only have one sata drive installed. Forget about the raid issue and just use maxblast to partition and format the drive and then install windows. Leave the DVDrw out of the picture until windows is up and running!

Check this out for RAID: Tell your mate to read it with you!!!
http://sbc.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

hi i got it working usin my old ide harddrive and my old 2x 266mhz 512 ram.. i couldnt get passed the instal stages with the new ram or hd just keptd freezing or blue screening.. how do i test if there broken

Did you combine the old RAM with the new? That might be a problem but, generally, that the new RAM becomes backward compliant with the old and runs at the slower clock speed. You can always use the SATA drive as a slave. Do this now that you have the old IDE drive installed: Set the Maxotr SATA drive as a slave(jumpered on the middle pins...check the web for the proper jumper settings for your new drive. Format the drive after you reboot and set the partition to 1 250 gig. Now You should be able to install the Sata as a master and install windows on your new drive. You were unable to install windows becasue youdid not have the sata drive configured properly as the master. You need to probably do that in the CMOS. Give me the manufacturer and model number of your mobo and I'll research it for you.

Edit: you can test the new memory by leaving the system as it is for now and then download: www.memtest86.com and build a bootable memory testing floppy. it will test your RAM and let you know if it has problems.

lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d

i got a floppy disk with it and i used that and it rekonised it as a 240gb harddrive!

do you think my ram is fubared i just tryed it after the xp was working and it just randomly restarted the pc..

It might be...what type memory? Go to my previous note and download memtest86 and you can test it.

By the way...you mobo,after reading the manual, has a hard disk boot priority set up in your CMOS. After installing the SATA you need to go to tht area and select the SATA an the first boot hard drive!!!!!! This is the problem you were having, I surmise! You'll get this figured out but go and get your mobo manual! Test the memory. I'll check back and see if you are up and running.

can you give me that in a step by step format please im not 100% sure what you just said sorry :(

Go into the Cmos>hit det at boot up
Get out your mobo manual and go to the section for setting up hard disk boot priority.
Hit enter on that area when highlighted
Go through the Drop down menu until you find the Maxtor Drive
Select it
hit F10 (save the cmos)
Make sure your xp cd is in the cdroom
install windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom