System Performance Degrade over time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a good coder but not generally very good at math. Calculus is the reason I haven't graduated yet. All I've got left to go is Calc 3 and Differential Equations and I'm home free with my BS in CS. (Yeah, it is a lot of BS, lol)

Coding isn't bad, you just have to know how to think like a computer, which is just to say, if you're a good puzzle solver and analytical thinker, you'd make a good programmer. In fact, mathemeticians were the 'original' computer programmers.

And yes, I did just write that myself off the top of my head.

That should be an article on Slashdot or Digg, alot of people would like to read that, i know I enjoyed it.

I havent encoundered differential equations yet, but I know I will, I'm going to school for Computer Engineering. I know I will have to do some programming in there, it will be nice, because I'm going to learn some thing.

Yeah, I know about the mathamaticians being the first programmers. Isnt C/C++ almost ENTIRELY calculus? My cousin is relly good at math, calculus actually, she should be a programmer.

I would shudder to ever be published on Slashdot because I wouldn't want to get torn apart piece by piece on every little semantic error I made, lol. Thats a tough crowd, I feel pretty dumb reading most of the discussions on there.

C/C++ isn't really anything like calculus, I'm not sure what you'd really mean. Calculus just requires you to think on the same wavelengths, so to speak.

C/C++ is basically just based on.... well, since they are both imperative languages, they're based off the idea of the Von Neumann architecture. (Which you will no doubt deal with lots in Comp. Eng.)

Loosely.... most programming is closest to Discrete Mathematics. There is actually an entire field called "Theory of Computation". But, in general, most of it has to do with Discrete Math. Which is just... logical operations (AND, OR, NOT), combinatorics/etc (factorials, recursive sequences, etc), logical proofs (mathematical induction, proofs by contradiction, whatever). Also has some tastes of number theory.

Theory of computation is more to do with analyzing problems and determining whether they are (or are not) solvable by computers.

Not calculus....Not differnetial equations or linear algebra!!! Calculus is used in determining non-linear funcitons. You need calculus, for example, in determining the volume of water in a lake that is an extremely irregular container. You determine the volume by evaluating approximations of the multiple potential containers that define the lake's uderwater surface, i.e., multiple finite addiitive approximations....now that was a mouthful. Programming is string logic: this is that/ this to that/this or that etc. I'm not a programmer but I am a neurologist...same conceptual structure.....logic loops and redundancies etc. how the heck did we get here? I'm crackin' myself up! :)

Neurologist, huh? Well, be a pal and drop some cool neurological knowledge up in here! lets see how many different directions we can take this thread in!

Retired......or just tired would be more accurate! Multiple causes of dysdiadokokinesia.......cerebellar dysfunction: One cause: acute ethanol cerebellar toxicity and ataxia.....what I'm going to do when I get home. Drink a bunch of beer out of da kegorator!!! :)

Ouch, those are some of the biggest most difficult to pronounce words I have ever seen! however, I do know what kegorator means... Drink one for me buddy!

AHHH!!!! I'm at work, oh I cant wait to be home and have a drink!

Isnt it about 9am over wheree you are?

He is right about programming being string logic.

In fact, any computer program that can be created can be represented by a single string that defines a turing machine. Although I wouldn't want to try on anything but the simplest programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom