new laptop user needs some upgrading help

Status
Not open for further replies.

toyota_ae86

Solid State Member
i recently got an older Dell inspiron 7500 pentium 3 501 mhz, 128 of ram, and windows XP. the computer runs great, it is on 501mzh, and i want to upgrade the computer. i would like to keep the pentium 3 but upgrade the Ram and the Mhz. how can i get more mhz out of it. and also i have an old gateway, with pc100 ram, and a pentuim 3, would my pc100 ram from the gateway work in my dell laptop becuase of the same prossecor and all? or do laptops use diffrent ram? i would like to get some more Mhz out of it, for the cheapest and best way. i have a tight buget to use, but i can make it work.

any help would be great!

You would have to dig up an old Pentium 3 mobile, while making sure it does not give off ANY MORE heat

With a faster Pentium 3, it will get hotter, which means you may burn out the chip.

toyota_ae86 said:
would my pc100 ram from the gateway work in my dell laptop becuase of the same prossecor and all?

No, The RAM is different.

"i would like to get some more Mhz out of it"

Only way is to try and overclock it. This, however, is probably not an option in the BIOS.(i guess replacing the processor is an alternative, probably an expensive one though.)

It is my opinion that a laptop computer is at maximum strength when it is first built. Meaning there is not a lot of room for upgrades because it all has to fit in such a small space. Generally, the only upgrade an end-user can do on a laptop is add some RAM. Keep in mind that your Laptop may not support more RAM than it already has.....:)

Try installing the RAM. The worst that could happen is that the pc will not boot. If it doesnt just remove it and move on. If it does, great!

SHAWN said:
Try installing the RAM. The worst that could happen is that the pc will not boot. If it doesnt just remove it and move on. If it does, great!

Wouldn't the RAM modules be different? (Length, Number of pins, Shape?)
I'm asking because i always thought they were different.

Sorry Toyota, i'm not trying to hijack your thread. :)

well i dont have the money to buy a prosseccor, and i was just curious how i could make it faster and all. and my bigest question was would my old ram work.? i know that ram speeds things up quite a bit. all i use my computer for is internet browsing and burning some CD.s and my main reason for wanting to go faster is, the initial boot up, when i first turn on the computer is really slow, takes about 5mins to get to top speed of loading programs ect... and i think the ram could help it. i downloaded the cpu id thing and it says i have 2 ram slots? and i have a 128 PC100 in ram slot 1 made by mitsubishi. so now do laptops and desktops take diffrent ram?

"so now do laptops and desktops take diffrent ram?"

I thought that they were different. I could be wrong...

SHAWN has cast some doubt in my mind now.

my gateway is a esentsial. super old. but my gateways ram is similar but, i will have to look again. i know my gateways is 144 pins but the gateways is not as tall, it is very long and not as tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom