OC Pentium 75 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategist333

In Runtime
I have an old Packard Bell monster of a computer in my attic; just want to experiment with it since there's no way I can possibly use it. I'm pretty sure its NOT an ATX board (bought in 1995), so any way to overclock it?

Well, check your jumper settings, and see if you can overclock it that way. If not, try increasing your voltage to the cpu. Also, check your bios, but i'm pretty sure the bios is way outdated

On a board that low you are going to have control over the fsb AND multi, complete cntrol. There are some jumpers on your board that you have to set, set them to multiplier levels and whatnot.

Ummmm....overclocking is never mentioned in a manual!! It voids your waranty and companies don't condone it. Your motherboard should have little letters where jumpers could be placed. One may say 33Mhz fsb, the other 66Mhz fsb. You can change that simply by changing the jumper setting, by moving the jumper on the 33Mhz fsb to the setting on the motherboard that indicates 66Mhz fsb

You just have to know. Look at the board, find all the jumpers, there are jumper maps on the board itself that tell you what the multiplier settings are and what the FSB settings are. you just have to do some looking around on it. It will really be, like all OCing, trial and error.

It voids your waranty and companies don't condone it.

It doesn't void the warranty. AMD don't lock the jumper on the FX series for you to get extreme speeds. On the AMD 64 range they let you decrease your jumper so you can get better memory bandwidth when overclocking (if you can't get the CPU very high.)

On my graphics card, it says in large font extreme overclocking, on the front.

There is software included with my motherboard for me to overclock in windows if I feel the need.

Overclocking is greeted hapily.

Compamies like DELL hate overclocking, so they make it impossible to do it. (with out hardware mods.)

If it doesn't boot, take out the battery leave it for about 15minutes to clear compltly (doubt there would be a jumper to do it quickly.) and don't go so far next time.

Trifid said:
Overclocking is greeted hapily.

Actually it's not greeted happily. They say you can do it, and tell you to go for it, but they dont blatently tell you that it voids the warranty. i mean, it's in there, just in the fine print. Have you ever read the return policy on Newegg or ZZF?

Overclocking or improper installation of CPU fans will cause CPUs to chip or burn. All chipped and burnt CPUs are considered physically damaged and are not eligible for replacement or refund.

I successfully got it up to 120 MHz. Turns out there's about 50 places where jumpers can be put (none fo them say ANYTHING about FSB), and I just messed with some close to the CPU :D . A lot easier than I thought, especially since I guessed. I found out 133 MHz, ran Memtest on it, and then probably burned out some component on my floppy drive and it won't read any more floppies :(. So then I lowered it down to 120 MHz (133 Mhz booted once and then wouldn't boot again), and now I have a less slow computer.

Oh yeah, I found out how to make it 33 Mhz... who would downclock a P75????

you should reapply some more compound to the CPU.

I had a 120mhz that I oc'd to 133mhz and it runs soo cool, no fan. It is just a passive heatsink. But i added a new application of some compound that I got from radioshack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom