Go Big Or Go Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol

i'd buy a $1000 machine today and be happy.

Next year, buy another $1000 machine and be happy (sell old one for extra cash)

Next year, buy anoterh $1000 machine and be happy (sell old for extra cash)

Next year, buy anoterh $1000 machine and be happy (sell old for extra cash)

Now, thats assuming that EVERY YEAR, EVERY part in your computer becomes OBSOLETE. That isn't always the case. You could easily keep PSU and CASE, and a few other things.

Isn't that strategy just better? 4 years of happpy gaming.

Or you could jsut spend $4000 today, and have your computer last 1 year or so...

am i making a point here?

eh i bought my computer about 18 months ago. The specs are pretty crappy now and were then. But guess what i can run BF2 smooth and with no lag.

Wow, I would say overkill for sure.

I agree with most of the others, you don't need to buy the absolute top-of-the-line product right now because it will be cheaper and/or outdated very soon.

But, if you have money I'd say go for a dual core processor. Scrap the dual 7800s, you'd be perfectly fine with just one 6800 for now. I personally don't really give a damn about sound card, I stick with my on-board sound :D.

I'd say cut back on most of what you have there, you don't need to spend that much to have a great gaming rig.

But hell, if you have the money then why the hell not :p :D

DJ-CHRIS said:
Buy a 4000$ computer now
Buy another 4000$ computer next year

ect

Even if you can afford it...

what a waste!

they should be shot for throwing away money!

DJ-CHRIS said:
Buy a 4000$ computer now
Buy another 4000$ computer next year

ect

And watch the CPU utilization graph sit at <1% most of the time. And you can impress your friends with the awesome-o benchmark scores that you'll get in 3dmark05. But it won't amount to a hill of beans because there is no practical use for that kind of rampant excess. Its not a matter of him "having the money for it" its a matter of fact that it is a "complete waste of money."

Are we supposed to be "impressed" with the quickest way to blow a ton of money on an over-the-top completely ridiculous gaming rig?

Why doesn't he run two dual-core Opterons with 16GB of ram, 3 Raptors in RAID 5, boot windows off of a 4GB Gigabyte i-RAM solid state hard drive setup, throw in the 7800GTX, and while he's at it, overclock the whole mess and install a phase-change cooling system.

Or, better yet, I think I can go to dell or alienware and spec out a $10,000 machine that would probably score no better than an intelligently build $2000-2500 box for gaming.

Look at my sig, I have no shortage of cash to blow on computer crap. None of it is "bleeding edge" or even "top of the line", but its not because its not in the budget, its because in my opinion, its stupid to senselessly blow cash on something that you'll never use.

I've got the ultimate "cash bonfire" system for him:

Tyan K8WE - nForce4 Pro SLI Dual Opteron Mobo - $425
2 x Dual Core Opteron 875 - $2350 (each) = $4700
8 x 2GB PC3200 ECC Registered - $400 (each) = $3200
2 x 7800GTX 256MB - $500 (each) = $1000
3 x 74GB Raptor - $170 (each) = $510
PCI-X Raid 5 card - $100
Gigabyte i-RAM (for OS) - $150 (estimated)
4 x 1GB DDR400 DIMMs - $80 (each) = $320

Not including optical drives, case, or the incredible PSU that would all require, you're at:
$10,405.

And you can keep going from there :)

i defenatly dont think you would need it, but if you are rich and can spend that kind of money, then why not? but get it custom rather than alienware if you do.

TheHeadFL said:
I've got the ultimate "cash bonfire" system for him:

Tyan K8WE - nForce4 Pro SLI Dual Opteron Mobo - $425
2 x Dual Core Opteron 875 - $2350 (each) = $4700
8 x 2GB PC3200 ECC Registered - $400 (each) = $3200
2 x 7800GTX 256MB - $500 (each) = $1000
3 x 74GB Raptor - $170 (each) = $510
PCI-X Raid 5 card - $100
Gigabyte i-RAM (for OS) - $150 (estimated)
4 x 1GB DDR400 DIMMs - $80 (each) = $320

Not including optical drives, case, or the incredible PSU that would all require, you're at:
$10,405.

And you can keep going from there :)

kids stuff

http://www.mediaworkstation.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=33905

first 4*Opteron system, thats $4000 jsut for processors lmao. 64GB of RAM too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom