Is it necessary for MORE POWER!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasen54

Beta member
Ok everyone, really quick question here... I have a 300w ps and I really dont wanna spend money for a new ps. The question is however, I am running 2 hd's and 2 cd-drives, as well as a new Radeon 9600 XT and a Soundblaster Audigy 2. Oh and 512 ddr ram. Could running on 300w become a big problem... I do not see any problems and have not since I built it. Oh and the chipset is a AMD Athlon XP 1700+ which equates to about 1.8 ghz. Am I short-arming myself in the long run with the way my computer runs... or is it no big deal? Any opinion is welcome

I don't know about that Calculator I entered my specs and it said that I Need 232 watts but my power supply is 100 watts or some low number like that

anyway my PS is much less thatn the perscribed amount and I have never had power problems

I am also having ps problems. By the calculator I need a little over 300 watts. What is a good brand name ps? I plan on getting 400 watts to be safe.

Thanks

your 300watt is probably a generic brand PSU. i would buy a quality 400 watt or greater for your system. low quality power supply will damage components when they fail. it's worth spending $60 to protect your investment. your 300 watt is probably straining under all that load, especially with your 9600.

some good brands i can recommend is enlight 420watt, enermax, and antec brand except their 430watt True Power model. best way to find a good product is go to www.newegg.com and search under their power supply category. browse for items and click the "customer review" link. you can read reviews from customers who bought that product. i read both good and bad, but tend to read the bad reviews for warnings from product defects.

Remember that the calculator gives you the power usage when the device is in full use. If your HDD or CD-ROM ore any other parts are idle, then they don't consume any power.
Those ratings are fairly accurate and give you a good idea of the PS to buy in order not to exceed the power requirements of your system when everything is working full blast, which doesn't happen very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom