20/24 pin adapter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryker

Baseband Member
If I use an adapter to plug a 20-pin power supply into a 24-pin motherboard that calls for a 24-pin ATX II supply, will it work as well as simply using a 24-pin power supply? I've read a few places that doing so isn't the greatest idea.

It will work, just not well. I had to use that on someones machine recently, and I'm kind of worried that something will happen to it, but I dont think anything will. He's not using it for anything too straining, he's a 65 year old man, so he's not OCing either. Boards like the DFI need that extra four pins for the extra voltage for the RAM, and an adapter wont work. If you are not OCing or do anything too intense, I guess you could get away with it. I would advise it only as a temporary solution, until you get a new PSU that has a 24 pin ATX on it.

well if u have a powerful 20 pin PSU then with the 24pin adapter it will work fine. but i dont know that they make a powerul 20 pin psu lol. but it will work fine if the psu is good.

No, thats not the case. The extra 4 pins are a seperate voltage rail that some of the the Pentium 4 775 and AMD64 motherboards need. Without those extra 4pins, your mobo is not getting the extra voltage it needs, which could be a catastrophe if you are overclocking.

ohh oh oh what about a molex to 4 pin connector converter???

Instead of 20 to 24 pin converter?

like that one feture in this motherbord set in teh cables you can see it i mean woudl that work better?

That would work, because it is getting the voltage from another line. At least I'm pretty sure it would work, but I may be wrong. Do you already have the PSU? If you dont, just buy one with the 24 pin.

no i dont have it and im tyrin to avoid buying a new one untill i get my new case ya know save a good 50 bucks cuz use that money for warped tour hehe

Ahh yes, you gotta set your priorities.

You have a LANparty, which operates very well, and even better with a good PSU. unfortunetely, a good PSU is going to cost you more than $50, more like $100 or so.

yes so i shall look around my house cuz i recently baugh that this mother bord that had the converter 2 of them actually I must find it it might hold me over if not newegg here i com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom