20-pin power supply for Celeron -D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssadmin

Baseband Member
Hi,
I recently purchased a celeron -d processor (2.93ghz), and I'd like to know whether it requires the 12v-pin (specially for pentium 4) or the standard 20-pin connector connected to the motherboard (or both connected?). This processor is socket 478, the motherboard is microATX, and the case is a Mid-Tower one (not that it matters I think).

Thank you for you help!

We really need the make and model of the mobo to help.

The specs on the mobo will tell you which is needed.

You do not need the extra 4 pins on the 20 pin mobo connector unless you have stability problems. But you will require the 4 pin AUX connector.

Hi,
I'm not too sure what you (uzi9mm) mean by the 4-pin AUX connector. Aren't the 20-pin and 12v-pin connectors the only connectors that connect to the motherboard?
Sorry about now telling you guys about the make and model. Here they are:
DFI P4M266A Socket 478 Motherboard
Intel Celeron 340 2.93Ghz 256K Cache,533FSB SocN 4
I hope this information is enough.

Thanks for your help.

yea im sure ur gonna need a 24 pin connector to be safe. would probably work with a 20 pin but could cause problems

Thanks for your replies.
So when you mean "24 pin connector" you mean that I should connect both the 20-pin and the 12v 4-pin connector to the motherboard right?

Thanks

cssadmin, the new ATX 2.0 standard requires a 24 pin connector.

You should check (or count) if your motherboard has 20 or 24 pin's.

Thanks for posts.
Sorry if I am acting stupid, but I am really new to this thing. My motherboard has one 20-pin connector socket and a 12v 4-pin connector socket which are separate. Also my power supply comes with a 20-pin connector and a 12v 4-pin connector. However, they are separate as well. Please visit this link: http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Product_Picture/P4M266A-MLV b.jpg
It is a picture of my motherboard.
Actually, I'm going to try to rephrase my question so that hopefully you will understand my nonsense. You know how the Pentium 4 has some kind of requirement for the extra 12v connector? Does the Celeron -D 2.93 Ghz Socket 478 Processor have this requirement also? If it does, do I need to connect both the 20-pin and the 4-pin connectors to the motherboard or just the 4-pin? Another way of putting this is: Will it harm the motherboard if I connect both the 20-pin and 4-pin connectors to the motherboard if only one of the is needed/required?
I hope you can help and understand me.
Thanks again.

Well the motherboard just requires a 20 pin connector, that's all you have to worry about

Thanks again for your help.
I'd like to know how you know that the motherboard only requires a 20-pin connector -- there is a 4-pin connector socket as well...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom