x800 XT and x850 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

realmike15

Baseband Member
From what I can gather from ATI's website, the x800 xt card is PCI-e only but has a slightly slower clock speed on memory and gpu. However the x850 xt has the faster clock speed but is only available in AGP. This seems odd to me, as the x850 is probably the newer of the two cards, and that the card with the faster clock speed would be an AGP card.

For me however this is not a big deal, as my mobo is socket 478 and only accepts AGP, and I'm really not in the mood to upgrade my whole computer this year. I just was hoping someone might be able to explain this too me, my 9800 Pro, it's starting to feel like a dog lately.

Anyone have any positive negative comments on the x850 xt? Also are there any other brands of the x850 that I should look at, other then ATI's?

I haven't really kept up with gaming cards, since I bought my 9800 pro, and would just appreciate some help, as to if I'm making a good choice for a card, and which card will be best suited for me.

apokalipse said:
X800's and X850's are in PCI-E and AGP.
I'd prefer the 6800's, because of smartshader 3.0, better drivers and better OpenGL performance

What he said, although OpenGL & D3D performance is pretty much neck-and-neck I'd say, depends on what the exact model can do...

Get the 6800 GT/Ultra, will technically last you longer than an X8** XT/XT P.E.

yeah i would also suggest a 6800 GT or Ultra because of PS3, u dont want to be playing PS3 games on a PS2 card

(PS= Pixle Shader V3 and V2)

or is it smart shader?

well yea i would get a 6800gt but if u cant afford one just get a 6600gt i dont know how much the ati cards run since im not a fan. lol

ATI cards are not too liked here from what I can see, heh. I always liked my 9800 pro, so I'm not completely ruling out the idea of one, but all this talk of the 6800's will certainly have me doing some more research.

That brings me to my only question, assuming I were to get the ATI, do I go for the x850 xt over the x800 xt. Surprisingly it's cheaper for the x850 at best buy.

i love at, its just at this time ATI dose not have a PS3 card, so if ur looking for a future proof card the only ones around ATM are Nvidia.

but i can wait for teh R52, maby u should wait for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom