New HD cant format and install OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavalos

Beta member
Hi all,

I bought a new 80 GIG HD, I formatted the drive, it then said “coping Files” that is when it gets stick at 76%. I then rebooted and when I started it back up I got a missing file error. I went into the bios and had it boot off of the CD rom this took care of the error, I then divided the drive into two partitions one was C: and the other one did not have a drive associated with it, so I tempted to reformat and it did the same thing. I then rebooted and cleared the partitions and tried to bypass the format stage and it said it was coping files and it got stuck on 10%. I then tried again and it got stuck on 100% coping files. I can’t get past this part do yall think my new HD is bad? Any help will be great

Could be the drive. Before an assumption is made that the drive is bad, you should do your best to make a distinction of where the problem really is. Try another install CD for the same operating system. Or try a different OS all together....just to test the integrity of the drive.

-Mike

You can download a diagnostic program from the manufacturer that will tell you if the drive is bad or not.

i bet you are trying to install winXP or win2k right? older manufactuered cd-rom drives and many older memory configurations have problems when installing. use a newer manufactuered cd-rom to test and use 1 stick of memory in bank zero. it could also be your memory brand that the OS is rejecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom