Indication of Hard Drive failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidicRage

Baseband Member
Over the past few weeks, there has been a weird sound coming from the computer. I opened up the case and listened to the sound.. The sound is a weird motor/fan noise that seems to get louder on certain random times. I tried listening to the sound, but I am unable to hear exactly where the sound is coming from, but I believe it is coming if not from the hard drive, near the hard drive (maybe fans/cables around it). I downloaded HDD Health and ran some tests. The log is here:

Parameters info for WDC WD800BB-00CAA0
Date: 1/4/2004 Time: 4:56:42 PM

Serial number: WD-WMA8E1612638
Firmware rev: 16.06V16
Capacity: 78.15 GB
Ultra DMA: Mode 5
S.M.A.R.T.: Enabled

S.M.A.R.T. attribute Value Threshold Worst

Raw Read Error Rate 200 51 200
Spin Up Time 104 21 98
Start/Stop Count 100 40 100
Reallocated Sector Count 200 140 200
Seek Error Rate 200 51 200
Power On Hours Count 94 0 94
Spin Retry Count 100 51 100
Calibration Retry Count 100 51 100
Power Cycle Count 100 0 100
Reallocation Event Count 200 0 200
Current Pending Sector Coun 200 0 200
Off-line Scan Uncorrectable 200 0 200
Ultra ATA CRC Error Count 200 0 253
Write Error Rate 200 51 200

What is noted is that the Spin Up Time is a little off the normal which is highlighted in blue according to the program. It also gave me a nearest T.E.C. around the year 2009. The Powers On Count seems to be in red (warning mode) and possible this can account to this. What do you guys think?

UPDATE:

I opened up the computer again seemed to tap lightly and hard on the hard drive. Each tap causes the motor/spin sound to stop, but restart again, so I think it might be something inside the hard drive.... it could be spinning too fast or something.. Anyone know what?

If it is close to the end of warranty go ahead and RMA it. To determine whre the sound is coming from, you can put a screwdriver on it and put your ear to the end of the driver. this will amplify the sound and let you precisly locate where it is coming from.

if your hard drive is cliking or making strange noises like that it usually means that it is dying and may need to get a new one.

Check to see if you have any cables too close a fan it can make a vibration/scratchy noise it is possible you jostled a cable when you touched the HDD

I don't know what to do. I can't determine if it's a HD failure or not or something else. I will ask some professionals to take a look at my computer and probably take it to a shop or something. I tried recording the sound with a mic. This sound varies..sometimes it gets louder, sometimes it gets softer, but here's how it sounds: (2 links, just in case one doesnt work)

http://teamzdk.topcities.com/sound.wav
http://www.geocities.com/acidicrage/sound.wav

it sounds more like a fan than a hard drive to me... Power down your system , try unplugging them - starting up, powerdown, plugging them back in, one at a time and see if it is.

The thing is I am not good with internal hardware of the computers so whatever I try to unplug, something always doesn't work... I've unplugged everything but sound still persists (some reason the computer operates fine also without the HD or anything else connected... I believe I am doing something wrong, so I will ask someone/get a professional to look at it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom