More than just random restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an intel fan, so u have that little grey block thing at the bottom, right? That's the thermal compound, isn't it? Whatever it is, that thing melted and was stuck all over my processor.

oh, your thermal pad melted?

the gray block, looks like grey putty or playDOH.

EDIT: it is supposed to melt just a bit. But how melted was it? Like all over the place, like a blob?

yeah exactly :p so any ideas why that happened? isnt it there so the thing doesnt get TOO hot?

it was as if i took playdoh and spread it all over that spot. some of it even went bback up into the heatsink. i scrubbed it all off so now i can see the copper core and my processor all gray and stained now :s weird. but anyway, ive switched fans now. got some cheap chinese company because the intel one had already melted on me :p

are you sure it was a thermal pad, cause heat sink compound would look pretty simular to what u describe, did you put the thermal pad, in your self, ? you may have dont it wrong, :S hmmm

errmmm...well u know when u buy an intel fan, the thing thats already stuck to the bottom of the heatsink, the pad? Thats the thing that melted. Where's the heat sink compound?

nope my intel hsf came with no pad, sorry :D:D are you sure it wasnt part of the packaging!
most heasinks have a copper or allumiumn core thingo, the part that comes in contact with the cpu in a act to keep it cool,
the compound is ment to be placed between heatsink and cpu keeping the cpu cooler cause there isnt direct contact between to bits of metal and all that fo shizzel.. i never herd of a cpu that you dont need any paste for,

dont think it was packaging esp seeing that the pc worked fine for a year and a half :p

I think you guys were right. Switched the power supply. Couldn't find anything better than a 400W Touchmate, though. Oh well, as long as it works. Temps are still lingering around 52C. Not sure how I'm gonna fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom