AMD and heat problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CouGaR

Solid State Member
I'm thinking of buying a new computer soon with an AMD processor and I'm an AMD virgin. I've been doing some research and I found many sites and people saying AMDs run hotter than Intels. I want to buy a computer for gaming, and I looked at the sticky topic on AMD vs. Intel, and a few people in there said AMDs are better for gamiing, so that's a plus. My question is the heat though.

Here's the computer I might buy: Click Here

I'm planning on sticking an ATI Radeon X800 XL in there, and taking a gig of RAM out of my current computer and placing it in there (both are PC3200), so that new comp would have a total of 2 GB RAM.

How much heat can I expect from that computer once I'm done? Like I said earlier, I'm completely new to AMD processors. Will I need to buy a better heatsink or fans, or will stock be good?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I'm new here.

The a1130n does seem better, thanks for finding that for me.

Here's another question. I noticed it has:

Video Chipset: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 IGP

What's video chipset exactly? Does it matter if I use an Nvidia card with an ATI chipset? The reason I wanted ATI is because they're cheaper, but I do like Nvidia better.

What Nvidia card can you guys recommend for around $299 (hopefully less, lol), and that's better than ATI's X800 XL?

AMD's running hotter... it's no longer the case.
Athlon XP's would normally run at around 60 degrees (C) with Pentium 4's being around 45-50.
now Intel has made their Prescott, which will often hit 70 degrees (C), while AMD with their Athlon 64's will run at around 35-40 degrees, and no more than about 45 unless it's a dual core, then it might hit 50.

Athlon 64's are AMD's latest, running very efficiently at 1.4V, producing low heat, and outperforming Intel's in most cases.

for a video card, I would recommend the Nvidia 6600 GT, or a 6800 (no suffix) from eVGA, MSI, Gigabyte or Leadtek.
the 6800 GT is a really good card, but it's probabbly not in your price range.

Video Chipset: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 IGP
I think this would be an integrated graphics card in a motherboard. if you can, stay away from integrated graphics, they take up CPU time, and some of your RAM. not only do you not get a good graphics card, it also slows the system down.

I would suggest a socket 939 system.
an Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939, get a Venice core if you want to overclock.
if you can, you should customise it. even if you're not building it yourself, you can normally get a lot better quality than the recommended parts by computer stores. most of them are only looking for a sale

I would suggest maybe this with:
Athlon 64 3000+ OEM
250GB Seagate SATA drive (instead of the WD 74GB Raptor)
1GB OCZ PC3200
Sony DW-D26AB
sony black floppy drive
eVGA 6800
Windows XP Pro

whichever keayboard, mouse and monitor you like. if you get an LCD, make sure you get one with at least a 16ms response time, or fast motion will look bad. 16ms is descent, 12ms is good, 8ms is better.
you don't necessarily have to get them from monarchcomputer.com

don't get antivirus, and don't get Office if you have it already. you can install freeware antivirus programs which are much better, such as Antivir, Avast, or AVG. I use Antivir and it is really good, much better than Norton.

and make sure you grab the free promos. if you don't like them, you can always sell them to someone (except the napster one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom