New Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyToToXiC

In Runtime
New Graphics Card HELP

I just bought a new graphics card. Its a NVidia NX 6600 GT (MSI). I installed it with all the drivers and it ran fine at first. I started up battlefield 2 and i started getting a spiral like distortion in the center of my screen. It got worse and worse until my computer shut its self down.

What did i do wrong? Can my computer not handle the card, is it a bad (broken) card?

PS: i have a dell 4600 p4, 512 mb ram. others have used similar cards in this same setup.

Will your puter reboot? If not, you may have to RMA the card. But I have heard that BF2 is extremely demanding! Did you overclock the card at all?

no i just got it, BF2 worked with my FX 5200 the NX 6600 GT should work.

I also forgot to mention that the computer screen is also distorted at start up. I had to put the old one back in.

I think the problem is that it is a dell. Dell likes to customize hardware to make it cheaper (and not work as good). Dell power supplies do not work the same as a standard atx one would, which is what your new videocard needs. They do this so that you ahve to spend a fortune by buying upgrades through them. It is probably either the power or another hardware issue with not being dumbed down enough to work with the dell properly. If you reall want to upgrade return that card and buy one through dell.

Similar thing happened to a mates computer and we had to fiddle with things for a while... Main Problem is the Power supply most likely which if so is a pain in the backside to find an answer(haven't been able to get one yet.) The 6600 GT is probably not getting enough power (understanding that the computer shuts itself off) if you had 5200 sitting inside nice and easy inside most likely the power supply doesn't have much inside. You need to check the label on the Power Supply

The problem is pretty much the same except with a 6800 which at the time cost my friend a mint to buy and was forced to re-sell for 2-3 thirds the price because stupid dell decided power supplies were part of the approach to sales... They won't let the computers have any real upgrade potential because it means the same people won't come back in 3 years time and go (READ WITH CAVEMAN ACCENT) "Make Computer GO FASTER!" and they go "NO BECAUSE TOO OLD BUT SHINY NEW CASE EVEN BETTER THEN YOUR NOT SO SHINY CASE BUT WE WILL SELL YOU NEW ONE IF YOU WANT" Then the customer goes "BUT WHAT ABOUT OLD ONE?" salesman responds with "OLD ONE IS BAD BECAUSE TECHNOLOGY MOVE FORWARD SO QUICKLY!" then whispers to himself "sucker" ( I sincerely don't mean to offend whomever bought the dell or what ever the situation but that is approach to sales the Large Desktop Computer companies generally take to revenue going higher and higher.

the computer doesn't shut itself off, the screen is just FUBAR.

so ur saying i don't have enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom