Help needed... SOS Compaq Related

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedge_00

In Runtime
All techies need advice
I have a Compaq Presario S3180 AN ( I know problem to begin with... Don't Remind)

I have been given a decent amount of cash about a $1000 Australian dollars

I was looking at upgrading my video card.... which is a MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 128Mb AGP 8X. To something with more grunt and force like a 6600 GT.... Problem my stupid damn Power Supply is only 250Watt, and as to my knowledge Compaq doesn't have a power supply available that fits into my case with about 450 Watts in it.. Also i understand that the Power Supply is build specifc :mad: so a standard ATX form Powersupply isn't going to fit, and they decided since that we have already screwed the purchaser over already why not make the Power dongles and cords to the Motherboard not standard 20 pins instead of 24 Pins. (Apparently connecting standard ATX Supply will cause el' destructo right away!)

Currently the Power Supply is using up about 200-225 watts already (Peak Estimations)

So anybody with any knowledge about this or any modifactions to Compaq's please help a fledgling techie out (FIRST TIME POSTER, YEAH HA! Didn't hurt to much!)
:D Compaq Presario S3180 AN

I have looked at what might be available to me now for videocards-

Nvidia FX Series 5200-5700 ( One Problem though, nobody is making these anymore!)

ATI Radeon 9200-9600XT ( Another Problem I wanna stick with NVIDIA)

The only things available in Nvidia is a 5200 or 5500 or a 5700 LE. Why should i waste money on those piles of junk when I could save the extra 150-200 dollars for something else?

Also i understand that the Power Supply is build specifc

Not from what I can find.

According to HP, you have an Asus A7N8X-LA mobo, which is a microATX board. So any microATX PSU should work.

The problem is there is no micro ATX form power supply which fits in the case because of width issues created by the Compaq case, and the Plugs to the mobo are not standard 24 PIN it is some weird 20 pin system... The main drive of Compaq is to supply a decent rig that will last 3 years but have no upgrade options except RAM and HARD DRIVE which are handy to Grandma and GrandPa not me! :mad:

I had it checked out that the pins are odd... and the motherboard although declared by Compaq as an ASUS-LA (which doesn't seem to exist according to ASUS website try looking it up!) is an actual g6-something (Dodgy cheap build) rather obviously Compaq recieved a reference design from ASUS and sub contracted the actual production to a cheaper contract..

bro you're screwed. i work in a store that does case mods for anyone but mostly people with a computer like you come in. we usually just get a new mobo and psu. companies screw you like that all the time bro

That is what i thought, i gotta face facts and bite the bullet, oh well.

I gonna build a budget system anyway how about a

AMD 64 3500+ or (3400)
S939 MObo (Whatever is the cheapest one with PCI-e and NForce)
1 Gig of Cheap arse Ram
Nvidia 7800 GTX (I can get one for 600 Australian which is about 550 US. THis i am certain on getting! I will skint on the processor and case if need be)
120 GIG SATA (CHEAPEST ONE AGAIN)
450 WATT Supply
17" CRT :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom