754 or 939?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only difference i could make would be to say get a DFI NF4 Ultra-D mobo for the s939 CPU. It's a tad more i believe, but it would be worth it.
If he is getting a 6800Gt AGP then that would be a waste of money for nothing. If you get a PCI-E card then get the above mentioned board (DFI Nforce4 Ultra-D) or if you get the AGP version then get the DFI Nforce3 Ultra-D (am i right on that?) Also for a CPU get a 3200+ Venice. All S939 bro.

P.P. Mguire said:
If he is getting a 6800Gt AGP then that would be a waste of money for nothing. If you get a PCI-E card then get the above mentioned board (DFI Nforce4 Ultra-D) or if you get the AGP version then get the DFI Nforce3 Ultra-D (am i right on that?) Also for a CPU get a 3200+ Venice. All S939 bro.

Oh i didn't notice he was getting an AGP card. That (in my book) would not be a wise decision, PCI-E gfx cards are here to stay like P.P. McGuire said..

Well, I'm gonna say it's okay to buy an AGP card at this point. Just make sure your motherboard is PCIe enabled so when you DO want to upgrade, your slot is there and ready to go!

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Well, I'm gonna say it's okay to buy an AGP card at this point. Just make sure your motherboard is PCIe enabled so when you DO want to upgrade, your slot is there and ready to go!

The problem with that is the only motherboards that I seen with AGP and PCI-E looked like bad motherboards to me.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Stick with a good motherboard that supports PCI-e. I've been noticing trends and they're telling me that PCI-e is becoming cheaper to encrouage the market to switch over. I'd go socket 939 hands down. I actually just had to make this decision. I chose a socket 939 3000+ venice core. I think you'll be pleased with it, and it's much more futureproof.

Ryan

Yes PCI-E is uneniably the future

Anyways, the few board's that do PCI-E and AGP are poor made and expensive, and I do not recomend them as a solution.

Hey guys.. You don't mind if I throw in my 2 cents?

Stick with Socket 939.... AMD said that Socket 754 isn't being continued, and that is has alot more limitations in Memory buffers and channels... As For PCI-E and AGP if you stick S939 which does have both types of port available, you can easily just change over when you need too... If you have the cash go for PCI-E and invest in a cheap but decent PCI-E card like a 6600GT or X600-700 that will give you what you need for now... and when you horde you little lose change... Hopefully New Nvidia and ATI cores from latest series have released the middle of the line or dropped prices of the flagship cards (A Boy can dream can't he?):rolleyes:

seems to me that the 6600GT seems to be the best bang for the buck nowadays. Is the 9800 PRO the comparable ATI card?

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom