Attn Custom Computer Builders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heyyo,

I know, but it should be more eh? a KB = 1024 Bytes. so 80 GB = 81,920,000,000 Bytes. I'm only getting like, 75,776,000,000 Bytes. So I'm lacking quite the huge amount of bytes man.. and I could've used those extra few GB's man as I've only got 3GB's free, and I need more free in order to defrag my HD.. won't defrag the big files for some reason. I know you should have 15% of the HD free for a good defrag, but that sounds pretty rediculous to me.. the fragmented files are mainly my BF2 ones thus my longer loading times with that game.

[EDIT]
I guess you also can't really depend on advertising anywho.. next HD I'm buying is definately WD. Gonna give them a try.
You also have to factor in the formatting and partitioning of your drive. In addition, depending on your sector size (I'm not sure that's the right word, haven't read the A+ Manual in a while), files will take up more space on your drive.

Smaller sectors = better. For example, say you have an 80GB drive with 4KB sectors. If you go to save a 1KB file on the 4KB cluster, you can only save one file on said sector and the other 3KB are removed from the disk space. That is why often in file properties you will see both "file size" and "file size on disk"

gaara said:
You also have to factor in the formatting and partitioning of your drive. In addition, depending on your sector size (I'm not sure that's the right word, haven't read the A+ Manual in a while), files will take up more space on your drive.

Smaller sectors = better. For example, say you have an 80GB drive with 4KB sectors. If you go to save a 1KB file on the 4KB cluster, you can only save one file on said sector and the other 3KB are removed from the disk space. That is why often in file properties you will see both "file size" and "file size on disk"

Smaller sectors can also increase file system overhead. It takes more space to store the file system tree information when you have to keep track of more nodes.

How high of FSB can your A8V take?

Im talking stock, usually the chipset only handles 245-255

However I got up 293

I have an Abit Mobo and had a Gigabyte Mobo...both have turned out well for me. I've gone AMD for both my processors and both of those have turned out well. I'm sure Intel is also just as good, so that's more of a whatever you prefer thing.

I've had a MSI video card and a Leadtek videocard. Both have also turned out well for me.

So there's a few brands you could check out...

bro you have to watch the bus speeds nowadays and if you wanna get a dual core processor make sure that the cache is at least 2 megs. i haven't seen one that hasnt had that up to date. as far as motherboards i have to say that dell motherboards for the lower end computers suck. syntax isnt a really good motherboard brand however i owned one and had no problems with it . their technology isnt very up to date however. good brands are of course DFI, GIGABYTE, MSI, ASROCK, CHAINTECH AND ABIT. ASRocks are pretty hard to get but pricewatch has them. they're pretty upgradable cause you can make a socket 754 into a socket 939 for just 40 bucks in most cases. some of their motherboards have both sockets integrated and also have pci express and agp on the motherboard so you can upgrade. as far as video cards i have to go with xfx as my personal favorite.

AMD Mainstream dual cores do not have 2 meg per cache, half and 1 meg.

ASROCK is defiantly not a good brand, hello cheap Asus.

XFX are one of the worst video card manafactuers, I have had problems with 2 / 3 XFX cards I own / owned. One was an upgrade to a system which never did gaming though.

And you dont need to worry about bus speeds really, expisally for AMD. Everything on the mainstream of Intel is 800, and 533 for Celeron's. Almost all board's support 800.

AMD board's since 754 are all 200 FSB, with 4x multiplier for 754 and 5x for 939.

btw...

Thanks for all your comments.

Just wanted to clarify something about HDD size. Most mfgs write size in MB's, which is MebaBye, not MegaByte. A meg is 2^20, whereas a mebabyte is truly 1,000,000 bytes.

Dan

ThE_MarD said:

Samsung. Put your trust in samsung. Everything they make is high quality. Their incredible monitors, their...

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I just bought my first Samusing monitor (997DF) for $200 off newegg and it blew out a week later. Turns out the same thing happened to another guy who bought his from newegg on the same day. Which means Samsung shipped bad monitors. And guess what? Now I have to pay either 40, 42, or 50 dollars to pay to ship the old one back to get a replacement. Besides the fact that I've been quoted three different prices, and that I was even once told I didn't have to pay over the phone but could actually do it at the UPS location, that's just rediculous. I bought it brand new for 225 after shipping, now I have to pay another 25% of the monitor's value, why? Because Samsung fuc|<ed up and now I have to pay for it. I love samsung right now. I knew I should have gone with the NEC for ten bucks more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom