Common things that can damage computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
I have recently been grapping with several potentially dangerous yet common things that might damage computers:
>glitter (both plastic and metallic)(one would be surprised how much this is used for projects even amung adults)
>metal shavings that come from removing screws (very small, almost flake-like)

Both these things are somewhat common and difficult to get rid of, so do they pose a danger to computers or any other technology hardware?

Thanks

a tiny bit of metal can short out two or more connections on a mobo or anything else, really. Could send the wrong voltage someplace and just plain fry a component of the mobo.

Gotta be careful with metal and electronics.

just don't boot anything up if you have any doubt about foreign objects. When in doubt, unplug the PSU and get an air compressor, or at least air in a can and knock everything loose. Clean that thing out up-side-down.

Ryan

take your mobo out and place it in a bowl of water.. keeping all stuff plugged in.. dont put power supply or drives underwater but just the motherboard and parts.. now switch on computer.

Is it a hazard to the computer ??

well as it happens no... computer will run fine (at least until the water starts to corrode things (oh and dont put fans under either, lol))

But metal.. get it out straight away.

Uh, that definitely requires distilled water of the very pure variety.

Tap water definitely isn't any good for that kind of experiment.

kids are a definate danger to computers.

After my 12 year old brother used my computer for about 2 hours, i had to disinfect the keyboard, mouse, and monitor with alcohol. And I had to do a fresh install of windows.

hahaha lol. the point about water. little known fact that pure water doesn't conduct electricity very well. i've had problems caused from dropping a screw in a case before. bridged a couple of traces somehow and the comp wouldnt turn on. as soon as i noticed andb subsequently removed it it was fine :S

edit: o yeah apokalipse is right. ESD is a biggy

Like I said, it would have to be distilled water of the very pure variety. Your mileage may vary with tap water. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom