Removing old thermal paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
After scraping off thermal compound with a plastic credit card, can you use something like rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab, or a coffee filter with a bit of alcohol on it to remove old thermal compound, or do you really need to purchase the special solvents???

Or will scraping and just wiping off excess material be enough without fully removing every speck?

don't use rubbing alchohol. It's a great conductor of electricity. Depending on what strength of the stuff you get, it can conduct better than some tap water. I think the compounds are the safest way to really do it unless you're feeling experimental.

Ryan

I use rubbing alchohol- haven't had a problem. Make sure you use a cloth that doesn't leave lint. (One used for lenses...)

ArctiClean is what Arctic Silver recommends. Otherwise, use a xylene based cleaner (like Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) or 99% pure isopropyl alcohol can be used.

Read this.

I'll tell you what. I just finished rebuilding my PC. And I decided to pick up the ArctiClean - Thermal Remover and Surface Purifier. If you have a few extra bucks, do your self a favor and pick it up.

The Thermal Remover works incredibly well. It's a Citrus and soy based solvent. 1 Drop of this stuff breaks up the old thermal paste so well, it is extremely easy to remove it. It just wipes off clean. No scraping or fooling around with it. Awesome product.

The Surface purifier works well too. After you've used the remover, there is a slight residue left on the CPU die and the heatsink. So you use the purifier and remove all of the residue. I had the CPU DIE and the HS so clean, it was shinny enough to see my face in.
Then reapplying new thermal grease is made easier... It spreads on so well.

Thermaltake Shark Case
Intel P4 3.4Ghz Prescott
Zalman 7000AuCu blue led
ASUS P4P800e Deluxe s478
AS5 of course

Built 24 hours ago.
MBM 5 reports - At desktop - CPU 35C
After some heavier usage it's been around 42-44C

These temps should stablize more in may-be 60 more hours, the thermal grease needs some time to set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom