VID Card Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarFreak1857

Fully Optimized
3dmark2005.gif

SLI obviously makes a huge difference in 3DMark 2005 and although the scores mean little by themselves, it atleast gives us an indication of the resolution to performance scaling - the 7800GTX SLI barely loses 1000 points going from 1024x768 to 1600x1200 compared to the 6800U SLI's 2000.

Heyyo,

SLI's ok, but dude, it fails to work in every game. Lots of games don't support SLI right now, so most just work in single vidcard modes. Chronicles of Ridd ick is an example, HL2, Far Cry.. I'm sure come next year's games more will support SLI. 3DMark05 added support, which's a good idea.

I dunno though, I still think ATI Crossfire's gonna be better man. Supports all games, even ones that don't support built in dual vidcard modes, and a couple other key factors.

ThE_MarD said:
Heyyo,

SLI's ok, but dude, it fails to work in every game. Lots of games don't support SLI right now, so most just work in single vidcard modes. Chronicles of Ridd ick is an example, HL2, Far Cry.. I'm sure come next year's games more will support SLI. 3DMark05 added support, which's a good idea.

I dunno though, I still think ATI Crossfire's gonna be better man. Supports all games, even ones that don't support built in dual vidcard modes, and a couple other key factors.

HL2 & Far Cry DO support SLI (both AFR and SFR I believe, although I could be wrong).

Crank up the AA in BF2, HL2, Far Cry, Doom 3 (as shown in those benchies, wherever they are from- source please) et all and SLI'd 7800 GTX's will blow SLI'd 6800 GT/Ultras out of the water.

As for Crossfire, we can't really compare it to a high-end SLI solution until the R5**/ X9** series are unleashed. The fact that Xfire uses a more effecient and certainly more user-friendly way of cross-connecting GPU's is besdes the point, frankly. Also bear by the time ATI finally release thier proposed 512MB frame buffered/32 pipelined monster that will 'destroy the G70' or whatever, nVidia will most probably be on their way towards releasing GeForce 8 anyways... All I can say is that 2006 is going to be a very interesting year for the desktop market...

Heyyo,

You sure? http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/vga_charts-05.html

that shows the sli cards running actualy worse than the single cards.

Oh ok, far cry does seem to support sli. But yeah, I dunno, I'm sure sli will be worth it come next year titles, but for now it's restricted to a few games. Crytech's a good company, so I can see why far cry works good with it. Also first game to fully support 64bit cpus.

Lol, omg, for kicks I had to check out the first vga chart thg made, lol, that tnt2 ultra soo got pwned by q3a, not even reaching the 30F/S barrier. And to think me bud had that crapper before, and then I sold him my gf4 mx440, lol... oh lordy, back in the day. :p

I dunno, I see next year nvidia dominating ati since ati's been doing quite bad for their pcie lineup. It's in reverse now. last year nvidia did bad with their fx lineup, and ati was dominating. Goes to show you how easily the balance tips eh?

ThE_MarD said:
Heyyo,

You sure? http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/vga_charts-05.html

that shows the sli cards running actualy worse than the single cards.

Note: @ 'max quallity', 1600*1280, 4xAA, 8xAF, SLI'd 6800 GT/Ultra owns in that test. Not sure about the less-demanding HL2 benchies though, although at the time they were using Forceware 71.98 for the GeForce setup(s), which probably lacked full SLI support.

how can you compare the ATI Radeon 9800PRO to any nvidia cards? would you compare it to the 6800GT? how did the 9800PRO do on benchmarks??

GuitarFreak1857 said:
on that website, for 05, the 7800GTX isnt even on there.. the 6800U SLI is owning tho.

The article was written proir to the 7800 GTX's release.

GuitarFreak1857 said:
how can you compare the ATI Radeon 9800PRO to any nvidia cards? would you compare it to the 6800GT? how did the 9800PRO do on benchmarks??

The article compares PCI-E cards only, not AGP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom