duel core,ht

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenyora

Daemon Poster
ya i know this is stupid but what is the diffrence between duelcore and HT...and how does the core makes a diffrence..i mean i found alot diffrent core but i cant tell what is the diffrence between them and which ones are better..?

AMD-San Diego,Venice, and Palormeo are the newest.
Intel-Prescott and SMithfield are the current offerings.

Venice and San Diego supports SS3 instructions and are produced at 90nm thus offering higher ocing capabilities than the 0.13micron

Presoctt and Smithfield are also produced at 90nm also. Older cores include northwood,etc. and aren't really in stock anymore.

Dualcore is there is physically two cores in one chip, which is basically two processors in one. Hyper Threading (Which is what I assume you mean by HT) does something, not sure how, but makes the computer think there are two processors onboard, even though there is only one and one core.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_threading

dual cores is like haveing 2 CPU's. with a dual core chip u can burn dvd and play game at the same time. HT just makes things run more efficiently so to speak.
IDK what you mean by that sledghammer but that is just a 64 bit chip i think. that has nothing to do with dual core.
By the way they have not made proesses use both cores at the same time yet

timmer said:
dual cores is like haveing 2 CPU's. with a dual core chip u can burn dvd and play game at the same time. HT just makes things run more efficiently so to speak.
IDK what you mean by that sledghammer but that is just a 64 bit chip i think. that has nothing to do with dual core.
By the way they have not made proesses use both cores at the same time yet

The Sledgehammer is the name of the core that the chip uses. There is alot more to HT than just making things run more efficiently.. It, in effect, makes the computer think that there are two processors effectively giving you about 15-30% boost in performance. REad the article at Wikipedia that I linked above.

By the way, it seems that you have some reading to do on processors and dual core. There is alot more to it than just "Using them both at the same time". They split up the instructions, give half to one core (or cpu) and half to the other core, or they give one core one task and the other core the other tasks. If the OS can correctly uses two processors, it divides the tasks among them and predicts best performance based on what processor it assigns a specific task to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom