Building custom PC want some imput on the parts please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jray05stang

Solid State Member
Hi I am new to the forums and new to building my own computers... I have a list of parts on order and I was wondering how good this system will be... can you guys please send me some feedback?

CASE: Antec Solution SLK3800B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Rackmount Case 400Watt

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan

MB: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Ram: OCZ Value Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400

Video Card: PNY VCG6800GXPB Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

HD: Maxtor 200 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA II Hard Drive

Sound: CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card plus 7.1 creative 90wtt speakers

DVD/CD: LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner

PLus i already have a 17 in samsung flatscreen and mx518 mouse... all bought from newegg of course:) Send me an email on feedback if possible thank you!

Jray05stang said:
I have a list of parts on order and I was wondering how good this system will be

For future reference you might want to ask before you order the parts unless your sure that is a good system and in that case you wouldnt need to ask :)

Im not a computer wizz but heres my thoughts...

If Im not mistaken you have a SLI mobo with 1 video card

That processor sure is a good $ for the type of ram your putting in there

The case isnt that great and neither is the stock PSU. You can get a Lian LI case and add a better PSU like the OCZ models and be much better off.

ANd the DFI lanpartys come with a good sound. Not necessary to buy a Sound card unless your really into sound and have some ideas...

What he said. Yes you have an SLI ready mobo, but only 1 6800gt. Personally, if I were wanting to go sli, I would do two 7800's. If not, I would take 1 7800 over 2x 6800s. ChEaPeR!

dont get a PNY 6800gt my friend got one and tells me how much he regrets it look at leadtek or an eVGA
get nicer ram than ocz value
get an aftermarket psu such as an ocz modstream 500w or an antec neopower 500w
get a seagate hard disc drive maxtors die faster
you dont need a soundcard onboard kicks ass
other than that your pretty much set

make sure you buy arctic silver 5 for the zalman heatsink
and buy all the cables youll need i.e. IDE cables SATA cables

yea pny video card was a mistake.
aspire just about listed everything but you dont really need nicer ram unless you are a heavy duty overclocker.
the psu,hdd,and sound he is right about and the vid card

In my opinion The Duel Core is stil a little picey and doesnt perform much better then the single 64 should have spent a little more money on the GPU instead of the CPU got some better ram then vaule and the Hard Drive should have gotten a 16mb cache HDD it blows out the SATAII and the 10,000 rpm hdd Also they make 16mb cache SATAII HDD's as well

Can I ask why PNY 6800GT is so bad? The guy thats building my computer for me is a personal friend and selected every part personally... He has the PNY and has never had any troubles with it... and Yes i have a sli mb but we did that so in case i do wanna SLI one day I can without having to purchase a new MB... the memory isnt the greatest but it will work im not looking to overclock... he has the stock 400wt ps in his computer and never has had a trouble with it... and he says he has the case as well and its one of the best cooling cases out there plus quiet...

Leadtek 6800GT PCI-E is onyl $320 right now, thats $25 less than eVGA and it has a huge heatsink so you dont really got to worry about it overheating and such. I've only heard good things about Leadtek and if you don't get Leadtek, get eVGA. Both of these companies are great.

I wouldnt use a PSU that comes with a case because they are usually total crap. I guess if your on a budget its ok, but the PSU is a very important part and you dont want it to die and fry anything.

2 6800GTs < 1 7800GTX

The stock PSU will do you good service...it IS an Antec, after all. Unless your system needs more than 400W, which I doubt. That case is a good case, from what I've read.

I goota agree with the others about the Maxtor frive. I have a WD personally, but I have heard horror stories about the failure rates of Maxtors. I am looking at Seagate's drives... a five years guarantee ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Value RAM works just fine, but it doesn't OC very well. Since the DFI is an overclocker's board, I figure that you will eventually try to OC.

While the DFI has good onboard sound, using a sound card will take those cycles away from the CPU workload.

Looks like a good build.

O crap nevermind I was just looking at my order and its Western Digital not Maxtor

This is the harddrive... dunno where I got the other one from

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JS 200GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA II Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom