Swapping hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

single man

Beta member
Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting a new barebones PC but I'm wondering if I can take my hard drive from my current PC with all the software etc on it already and put it into the new PC?

Is this possible or a no-can-do? Will it boot? Will there be issues with ms Win XP S2 (which I am currently running)

If I can't put the current hard drive in the new PC, would it work if there were a hard drive with XP already on it in the new computer - would there be a way for me to move all my files and programs over to the new one?

Thank you very much for any help!!

single man said:
Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting a new barebones PC but I'm wondering if I can take my hard drive from my current PC with all the software etc on it already and put it into the new PC?

Is this possible or a no-can-do? Will it boot? Will there be issues with ms Win XP S2 (which I am currently running)

If I can't put the current hard drive in the new PC, would it work if there were a hard drive with XP already on it in the new computer - would there be a way for me to move all my files and programs over to the new one?

As long as your motherboard supports the hard drive, yes you should be able to do it with no problems. Just build your new cpu, put the old hard drive in it and boot it up.

the only area where there will be issues is in the registry files. Anyone know how to reload these so the new computer will be happy with them? That's probaby where the 50 dollar software comes in.

Ryan

there may be hardware issues with ram and processor, ram not likely but processor more likely, make sure your data is backed up because there is still a pretty good chance it might not work, you may have to reinstall windows anyway.

single man said:
Hello all,

If I could make a suggestion...

If you're building a new machine anyways, spend the extra few dollars and invest in another hard drive. They are so cheap these days it's well worth the $. If you have that second hard drive, you can easily use the Windows XP file and settings transfer wizard to move all your files. And you can use that backup drive to easily back up your data as well. Worth every penny IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom